BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

The sky is falling! Get real.

Hey everybody, I believe that this is my first post. It's just kind of a reaction to the panic I'm seeing about the M3. All I can say is...

Guys, don't jump to conclusions and assume the car is a failure and the world is going to end because a few car magazines gave the car a less than stellar review (and they said the car was pretty damn good anyway).

The last M3 was the supposed best M ever, and these car magazines came in to this next M3 all excited thinking this car was going to be some kind of 60k miracle that would absolutely blow their minds, so the reality is that it is hard to live up to that kind of hype and naturally there was a greater chance for a letdown.

Some magazine (I can't recall which one...) claimed that "THE KING IS DEAD" and the G37 overall was better than the 335i. Does everyone believe that here, that the G37 is a better car than the 335i, just because some car mag. said so? Did everyone at E90/E92 cry and piss their pants and say BMW failed them? No, they didn't. Well, some did. But mostly people just laughed it off and said you can't believe everything you read.

I realize that there are a couple of reviews out there for the new M3 that are not ideal, and not what people expected. Just have faith guys, it will be a great car. At least wait until you drive it before you declare it a failure, or claim that the ///M division has failed you. All I am trying to do is be positive, so please don't flame me. Ultimately, I could be wrong, and the car could turn out to be a disappointment. Until that happens though, try to not panic! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post

Some magazine (I can't recall which one...) claimed that "THE KING IS DEAD" and the G37 overall was better than the 335i. Does everyone believe that here, that the G37 is a better car than the 335i, just because some car mag. said so? Did everyone at E90/E92 cry and piss their pants and say BMW failed them? No, they didn't. Well, some did. But mostly people just laughed it off and said you can't believe everything you read.
Motor Trend.

I was going to make the point earlier that the G37 is better than everyone's beloved 335i. People love to tout the 335, but one mag said the G37 is better, so it is so.
Geez, guess that makes it two in a row that BMW failed on.
      07-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: By the seat of her pants.

Excluding that g37 debate.

I just see the same old same, selective reading at its finest, people cutting and pasting bits and pieces of reviews to make it sound worse than it is. But after reading each review completely? Surprise surprise not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
The last M3 was the supposed best M ever, and these car magazines came in to this next M3 all excited thinking this car was going to be some kind of 60k miracle that would absolutely blow their minds, so the reality is that it is hard to live up to that kind of hype and naturally there was a greater chance for a letdown.
This is a great line. Everyone is naturally going to be very critical of the M3 because it has always been so good.

Everyone got real excited about the RS4 simply because for once Audi did something right instead of screwing the pooch like they usually do.

Jason
      07-08-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Selective reading? When the majority pick up on that the M3 just isn't much fun, then why choose to ignore that? Because you don't want to believe it.

There's a point where a car is so capable that it feels like the driver isn't putting much effort into the return and sadly, from what most have said, the M3 is at that point.
      07-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
Selective reading? When the majority pick up on that the M3 just isn't much fun, then why choose to ignore that? Because you don't want to believe it.

There's a point where a car is so capable that it feels like the driver isn't putting much effort into the return and sadly, from what most have said, the M3 is at that point.
I guess that is just the trend with automotive technology these days.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
MisterBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Some magazines are bias to certain cars because they have been approached by these car companies to write a bad review of their competitors, in return for other favours.

I believe everyone here on the forum can write an M3 review if we were given a chance to drive one. I wont be too worried about these magazines reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

;

Last edited by NewhouseEnt; 11-20-2007 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

Well said NewHouseEnt, it isn't as if the magazines have always had a downer on BMWs, they often win comparos in UK magazines at least, when they aren't the better car in most areas, simply because they handle so well. For the handling to be the biggest gripe, that speaks volumes about this M3.
      07-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
porscheguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 93 RS America

I too think this "panic" is overblown. I've owned an E36 and E46 M3, as well as various Porsches. I owned the E46 all of three months. I disliked it that much compared to my E36. My new 335i is much more precise AND more refined than my E46, and drives more like a sports car and less like a leather-wrapped hot-rod. At first, there were things I didn't care for, but now I am in love with the new 3; it is such a balance of performance and rationality. I cannot imagine the M3 is going to be worse the than the 335. It will be better in every way, though not the second coming of sports coupes. What did you expect? Did you really expect a a Z06-like performance or Porsche-like handling? Bimmers are all about combining sportiness and practicality.

That said, BMWs as well as Porsche (and others) are marching towards heavier and more luxurious, and are peeling off their hard-core enthusiast cars like the CSL and GT3 as separate variants. I'm sure that, even in the US, the CSL will become available. But who wants to drive a track-oriented car on an interstate trip? If you want a car that does it all (with compromises), don't you want it to be a "car" first and foremost and not some tarted up track machine? If you have the garage and wallet for it, then buy the race car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #11
Tobizach
Female Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: By the seat of her pants.

Quote:

What majority??? The car hasnt even been released.. let alone on sale yet!!

You would have a point if the car was out and everyone here had a 1st hand experience and didnt like it. But NO the car is not out and nobody outside BMW and a few media types has gotten the chance to drive it.

This is getting tiresome why are you implying that I meant every single post is like that? Get a clue Im not. Read this thread for example http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71015 with the header "M3 11 miles per gallon" Notice how the poster left out the whole other part of the sentence? Which btw Scott explained as well? Selective reading/ selective posting...

I and alot of other members here have read those same reviews as well. And dont see it like some of the naysayers see it.

And why are you so miffed by those of us who just want to save judgement for ourselfs? I dont see what your trying to accomplish. So we dont agree totally with some of those pre-reviewers... Big deal.. its our money and our desision on what and whatnot to buy, not those reviewers or yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobizach View Post
What majority??? The car hasnt even been released.. let alone on sale yet!!

Read this thread for example http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71015 with the header "M3 11 miles per gallon" Notice how the poster left out the whole other part of the sentence? Which btw Scott explained as well? Selective reading/ selective posting... I and alot of other members here have read those same reviews as well. And dont see it like you do.

And why are you so miffed by those of us who just want to save judgement for ourselfs? I dont see what your trying to accomplish.Its our money and our desision on what and whatnot to buy, not those reviewers or you.
I agree, i think it has gotten a little out of hand that people are just jumping on the bandwagon to bash the M3 when in fact no one here has driven it and some are not even seriously considering to buy it. I drive a w124 while at school and im on the MB boards but im not gonna go on there and bash at the C63 because i dont like it or feel its inferior to other competitors.

If it makes you happy to know that all your negative inputs on the M has deterred people from consider buying it you should probably get out of the house more often and try to get laid (aka get a life).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:

What's sad is that you haven't even driven this car. It's light years beyond what's sitting in your garage...you'd rather drive that??? Drive an M3 and then you can sit around and bash it all you want. Until then, grow some nuts and have a little self respect...form a valid opinion once you're in a position to.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

If the new M3 has numb steering, weighs well over 1600kilos, comes with a bunch of equipment as standard I don't want and costs £50k, then yes, I'm perfectly happy with my E36 2.0, because it is far from being anodyne and without a load of electric nonsense, when I get out of it, I know I've raised my game keeping it on the road at high-speeds and not systems which cut power to certain wheels to counter a bit of sliding.

I liked the old M3 because reviews gave the impression that it was a crushingly good B-road car that was exciting and from those who have driven the new M3, a fair few have said there's some excitement missing. Well, I've never got out of my humble car having driven at 100mph on deserted twisty roads feeling nonplussed and removed.
      07-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
I liked the old M3 because reviews gave the impression that it was a crushingly good B-road car that was exciting
I guess this is why you dont like the new M3 because the reviews have not been as nice. Why dont we wait for the release, then a personal test drive, until then theres no need for further bashing without credible experience.

/thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #16
///Murdock
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 M5, 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Motor Trend.

I was going to make the point earlier that the G37 is better than everyone's beloved 335i. People love to tout the 335, but one mag said the G37 is better, so it is so.
Geez, guess that makes it two in a row that BMW failed on.
ur the biggest downer on this board... go buy an automatic
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I've never got out of my humble car having driven at 100mph on deserted twisty roads feeling nonplussed and removed.
I really doubt, were you to repeat the experience in the new M3, that those feelings would be foremost in your mind then either! Glad to hear you're having fun, anyway
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #18
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
I really doubt, were you to repeat the experience in the new M3, that those feelings would be foremost in your mind then either! Glad to hear you're having fun, anyway
Ah I'm just disappointed and deep-down hope the new M3 is going to knock everyones socks off and all this has been a sorry incident where I've come up with all the bull I can to justify why I am slightly too gutted in the reports of the lucky sods who've got to drive it already.
      07-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #19
///Murdock
Private
Rep

i dont mean to sound a dickhead but it just puzzles me how so many people randomly jump shit and say "this car doesnt deliver blahblahblah...."

until we have all driven it-- its not fair to lose hope

this car WILL deliver, i am very confident in that, BMW imo seems to be right on for its markets.

The s85 in the M5 s brilliant, there is no need to think this v8 will be anything less than that (besides the 2 cylinders)

wait until its out before you bash,, like ive said before i promise this engine will win engine of the year for many years... and that this car will be best in its class
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #20
///Murdock
Private
Rep

oh, OT what is the code name of the new V8?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #21
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, I've realised my hot-headedness hasn't been getting me anywhere and I'm just going to quietly sit and wait for the proper Autocar verdict in Wednesday's mag and hope these first bunch of cars were slightly off-pace.
      07-08-2007, 05:29 PM   #22
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Well, I've realised my hot-headedness hasn't been getting me anywhere and I'm just going to quietly sit and wait for the proper Autocar verdict in Wednesday's mag and hope these first bunch of cars were slightly off-pace.
Appreciate 0