BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Any of you brave M3 drivers gone for a trip as of late?

I went with a friend to the Henry Ford Museum, then on to The Corvette factory and museum down in Bowling Green Kentucky a few weeks back. We had a great time.

BTW my friend is a Corvette driver (he has two of them among other cars) he loved driving my M3 had a smile on his face each time I let him drive for a spell. Coming from him that meant quite something, only I don't think he will switch anytime soon he loves his Corvettes.

If you care to see some photos click below ... then go to the Corvette and or Henry Ford Museum Album, if you should ever go to the Corvette factory tour I highly recommend the VIP tour, of course cameras are not alowed in the factory.

Enjoy ... sorry for the poor photos, a car nut I am a photographer I am not

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Cool. I've driven by the Corvette Museum, but we didn't stop, kinda wish I had now lol.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

I checked out the Petersen Auto Museum when I was in LA..very cool.

Would love to check the Corvette Museum out some day
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Cool. I've driven by the Corvette Museum, but we didn't stop, kinda wish I had now lol.
Go in 2014 they will build a track opposite on the other side of the express way (I took a photo of the planned track layout it is in the Corvette album).

Photo of the planned track layout below ... larger photo in my Corvette factory album Photo 197
Attached Images

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 07-02-2012 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Rolf, like your new photo album.

I'm planning a road trip in Sept. to Tail of the Dragon, through Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.

Road trips are addictive.
      07-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I checked out the Petersen Auto Museum when I was in LA..very cool.

Would love to check the Corvette Museum out some day
I was surprised that the Corvette is mainly hand build. The assembly line is in a snake formation and some 3.5 miles long. We were 4 in our VIP tour. Larry the tour guide arranged for the young fellow on leave from the US Navy with his dad to start a brand new Corvette for the very first time on the assembly line. That was cool experience for this 25 year old fellow, something he will never forget. He got a birth certificate of that Corvette with the VIN number

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I did watch a special once on how they build the Corvette, agreed much done by hand.. the trans tunnel design and trans placement is very sweet..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post

I'm planning a road trip in Sept. to Tail of the Dragon, through Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.

Thanks re: the album, I am just starting, got tons of photos to add just like to share them. Not all have the time to get to those places.

Yes they are addictive alright, however, so much fun at this stage of my life

BTW when you go to Germany this year ... you can rent a BMW at Die Welt or take a tour (starts at the München BMW museum) in a classic BMW thru München that be something for you and hubby to do Check it out.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I did watch a special once on how they build the Corvette, agreed much done by hand.. the trans tunnel design and trans placement is very sweet..
Someone told me it was on the History Channel. However, to be there is the only way to see it first hand. They pass each car into the DYNO Test Stand and it must pass all the tests as the engine is taken to top speed. If it does not pass it is put aside and corrected before it is released for shipment.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Go in 2014 they will build a track opposite on the other side of the express way (I took a photo of the planned track layout it is in the Corvette album).

Photo of the planned track layout below
Thanks for the tip!
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Someone told me it was on the History Channel. However, to be there is the only way to see it first hand. They pass each car into the DYNO Test Stand and it must pass all the tests as the engine is taken to top speed. If it does not pass it is put aside and corrected before it is released for shipment.
Yes it was either History or Discovery..Im sure it's nothing like being there in person...surprised you didnt make the jump from BMW to Chevy
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

It was National Geographic's Ultimate Factories. They have several car episodes including Mercedes, Maserati, and BMW (The X3, X5, and X6).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
CrazyIvan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Going up to CT this week for ALMS Race. Got a VIP pass with paddock tour, driver meet and greet and other stuff. The ticket showed up today Looking forward to that. Of course, its not the same as going Nurburgring for 24 hour race... still. I'll try to take some pics and post them here.
      07-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

name change again rolf?

glad you are enjoying the M3. I've taken some short trips recently but not long.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post

you will have a blast! few things i learned on the Tail - fill up when you can (especially with the M3), let the bikers pass, and don't cross the yellow divider on a curve because you want to take the "racing line".

oh, and don't have any loose stuff in the car on your runs...especially not soda cans (my personal experience, lol)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
Going up to CT this week for ALMS Race. Got a VIP pass with paddock tour, driver meet and greet and other stuff. The ticket showed up today Looking forward to that. Of course, its not the same as going Nurburgring for 24 hour race... still. I'll try to take some pics and post them here.
I'll see you there and maybe even on the road on the drive up.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Ultimate factories on national geographic did an episode on the Corvette. Check it out on youtube or itunes, or national geographic online... Pretty cool stuff in my opinion!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #18
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
you will have a blast! few things i learned on the Tail - fill up when you can (especially with the M3), let the bikers pass, and don't cross the yellow divider on a curve because you want to take the "racing line".

oh, and don't have any loose stuff in the car on your runs...especially not soda cans (my personal experience, lol)
Hey thanks Darth!

By the way, any place you stayed at near there that you would recommend?
      07-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

After selling my 335i vert, it was my one regret, not taking it on any road trips. I tried to keep the miles low which I did have 3.5 years of ownership and 10k total miles. Well the new owner did appreciate it. When I get my new M3 it will change. Starting with the PCD.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post
After selling my 335i vert, it was my one regret, not taking it on any road trips. I tried to keep the miles low which I did have 3.5 years of ownership and 10k total miles. Well the new owner did appreciate it. When I get my new M3 it will change. Starting with the PCD.
The M3 loves to be taken on road trips it will whisper to you let's go and then you have the pleasure of experiancing all those wonderful places out there just waiting to be explored behond that next bend in the road

Drive safely and enjoy your ///M when you get it !

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
name change again rolf?

glad you are enjoying the M3. I've taken some short trips recently but not long.
Took me a little while I guess I finally came up with a handle that will stick

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks re: the album, I am just starting, got tons of photos to add just like to share them. Not all have the time to get to those places.

Yes they are addictive alright, however, so much fun at this stage of my life

BTW when you go to Germany this year ... you can rent a BMW at Die Welt or take a tour (starts at the München BMW museum) in a classic BMW thru München that be something for you and hubby to do Check it out.
Rolf is that you? my goodness! how many profiles you have?
I am planing on going on a trip to San Francisco, by the way of 101 FWY instead of the 5 Fwy. Then go up to Sonoma county to some wine tasting.
Appreciate 0