BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

07-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
e92newb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3

led interior lights question

hello, does the e92 m3 have a glove box light? i don't see mine.

also, i'm installing an led interior kit, and i can't seem to get the front dome to come down. any tips? the rear came down easily.

also, on the bottum rear console, there are 2 side lights, how do i switch those out?

it looks like my led kit came with replacement bulbs for those.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Yes the glovebox has a light.

Front what? Overhead console?

You can get to those rear console ones by taking out the a/c vents.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
e92newb
Private
Rep

i was talking about the front dome with the two map lights and dome light. i was able to put the led lights in.

no need to remove the whole dome, just take off the plastic map light covers, and reach in to pull the bulbs out. sticky fingers will help.

i don't see any glove box light on my 08 e92.

the center rear console lights are still non-led. not the top dome light console, but the bottum console near the seats. is it possible to change those lights to led's? i got some extra small led's in my led kit.

EDIT I do see my glove box light. for some reason the light was just not plugged in.

still looking to change the last 2 lights on the bottum rear console...

Last edited by e92newb; 07-18-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92newb View Post
i was talking about the front dome with the two map lights and dome light. i was able to put the led lights in.

no need to remove the whole dome, just take off the plastic map light covers, and reach in to pull the bulbs out. sticky fingers will help.

i don't see any glove box light on my 08 e92.

the center rear console lights are still non-led. not the top dome light console, but the bottum console near the seats. is it possible to change those lights to led's? i got some extra small led's in my led kit.

EDIT I do see my glove box light. for some reason the light was just not plugged in.

still looking to change the last 2 lights on the bottum rear console...
Like I said, the rear console lights can be changed. Just remove the a/c vents to get to them.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
e92newb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Like I said, the rear console lights can be changed. Just remove the a/c vents to get to them.

how do you get the lights in? i can easily pull out the 2 light modules, but how do i change the bulbs?

i'm talking about the lower rear console and not the upper rear console with the dome light.

Last edited by e92newb; 07-22-2012 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92newb View Post
how do you get the lights in? i can easily pull out the 2 light modules, but how do i change the bulbs?

i'm talking about the lower rear console and not the upper rear console with the dome light.
I also ordered a full LED kit from a vendor here that strangely enough didn't come with the rear console LED's. I was told they didn't source any that were the right size. I found the rear LED's here http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwe90e92buy.html

You can just order the part of the kit you want. They're easy to remove, just stick a small screwdriver or trim tool in there and pry the whole housing out. Once out, remove the grey backing piece to get to the light. Definitely worth it to complete the look.

Last edited by RBB; 07-27-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e90 6spd

do the m3s need a special bulb(s) when replacing the factory ones with brighter ones? or just buy the size and put them in?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyMikee View Post
do the m3s need a special bulb(s) when replacing the factory ones with brighter ones? or just buy the size and put them in?
It's simple plug and play, u buy the bulbs and plug in
Some of those real cheap bulbs that are not operating properly won't function normally.

Best safe case is to get the set from the vendors here. They have bulbs specifically for these E9x lines, once you get them it takes 15 minutes to change all bulbs around to brighter LEDs.

I just got mine from hpb guys. They have their vendor site under E90/E92 section sponser site.

It's the cheapest of all other brands I found here (Depending on the vendors and lights, it goes from $55 to even $189).

i got the hpb with upgraded dome lights, which was about 80 bucks.
Just installed them all, it looks great
Appreciate 0