BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

My M3 payoff

So I need some advice..my payoff on my m3 is about 50k.. And originally wanted to throw a supercharged on it and a set of weels.. But then I thought.. Why don't I just pay this off instead then play with it..

Question, would it be best to just double, triple up on my payments? Or just continue paying the regular payments an save on the side and in let's say in two years just pay it in one lump sum???

What would you do if you where in my shoes...??
      07-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

I would pay it off as quick as possible as long as you are over half term. Banks do not like it when you pay it off earlier than half of the term. It can hurt your credit, it happened to my wife. Maybe go for the wheels now, it is something you will see and notice all the time. Supercharger is awesome but I would not spend 15k on one knowing I dont even own the car yet.
      07-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

OP, difficult to say without knowing the whole picture. What is the interest rate on your loan? In general, I would recommend saving extra money, if at the end of the year it is not required for other needs (investments, house, school, etc), use it to pay down the loan. Rinse and repeat until the title is in your possession.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

If u can double up or triple up. Do it. Saving and trying to pay it off aooner with a larger sum at once gets very difficult once prices of any m upgrades come i too play.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
I would pay it off as quick as possible as long as you are over half term. Banks do not like it when you pay it off earlier than half of the term. It can hurt your credit, it happened to my wife. Maybe go for the wheels now, it is something you will see and notice all the time. Supercharger is awesome but I would not spend 15k on one knowing I dont even own the car yet.
your right...

i just think about how i always spend money on stupid things when i could be paying down my loan... i mean between bar tabs, clothes, trips, girls. etc...damn i probably could of owned this damn car already u know?

and anything extra money i pay above my regular payment go to principle any way... maybe ill just begin doubling payments each month...

and yeah, supercharger on a car i don't own... what if it blew up..lol id be paying on a broken down ass car.. lol, ill go for wheels.

thanks for the advice gentlemen.
      07-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Bushido Brown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

A paid off car is the best kind of car you'll ever own. Once it's paid off, it'll give you peace of mind knowing its yours and you don't owe anyone anything. After its paid for, the money you were using on a car payment can be saved or used for that supercharger you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
lookitsma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Melbourne Red

Pay it off ASAP. Don't worry about half term and what not. Banks these days are more worried about actually getting their money's worth back anyway. I don't see how it can hurt your credit as your total credit debt/income ratio has more to do with your credit score than how long you've been paying on time. It does benefit you some to having an longer average age of account but auto loans factor in very differently and is weighed significantly less than a revolver credit card.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
A paid off car is the best kind of car you'll ever own. Once it's paid off, it'll give you peace of mind knowing its yours and you don't owe anyone anything. After its paid for, the money you were using on a car payment can be saved or used for that supercharger you want.
hahaha your abolsutely right, i had bought a 91 integra about a year ago and damn did it feel good to know i own this shit free and clear! lol
      07-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

You won't get credit dinged paying it off early. Car debt is bad debt, unlike student loans and house payments, which is considered "good" debt.

Even if you got any "ding" paying it off early, it would be far outweighed by lowering your debt-income by $50,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Not having a car payment - priceless
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Pay it off! Bought my car in Oct '10 and got BMW's 1.9% financing for 48 months. Got tired of getting 0.4% interest on my cash so just paid off the loan. It is nice to know it is all yours...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

Double up on those payments if you can!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
OMMMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' F80 M3 AW/BLK

Look, I purchased my car $52k cash(paid in full) and it's a great feeling, now any money I make is mainly gonna be for modding, minus things like food, gas, insurance, school loan, shoes, watches, guns(I like too many things, lol)

Pay it off, then when you tell people "that's my car" it will be the truth

I'm only 25, have owned over 20+ cars since age of 15, been doin payments forever and it gets boring after a while, plus it never leaves any money for big mods, just my $0.02

Last edited by OMMMG; 07-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Edit
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMMMG View Post
Look, I purchased my car $52k cash(paid in full) and it's a great feeling, now any money I make is mainly gonna be for modding, minus things like food, gas, insurance, school loan, shoes, watches, guns(I like too many things, lol)

Pay it off, then when you tell people "that's my car" it will be the truth

I'm only 25, have owned over 20+ cars since age of 15, been doin payments forever and it gets boring after a while, plus it never leaves any money for big mods, just my $0.02
damn, 20+ cars and paid cash for a m3...

what business am i not in?.... mentor me..
      07-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Mahzari
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would double up on your payments. And if there's a penalty for paying off early, I would put that money aside every month to save up. The key is to tell yourself that the money is already "spent" so you don't include it in your disposable income.

My college professor had a 30-year mortgage with payments around $1,800/month. After being a good customer for a number of years, the bank lowered his payments to $1,400/month. But here's the smart part: he continued paying $1,800/month and ended up paying the home off 7 years early.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
So I need some advice..my payoff on my m3 is about 50k.. And originally wanted to throw a supercharged on it and a set of weels.. But then I thought.. Why don't I just pay this off instead then play with it..

Question, would it be best to just double, triple up on my payments? Or just continue paying the regular payments an save on the side and in let's say in two years just pay it in one lump sum???

What would you do if you where in my shoes...??
To pay off as soon as one can is always the best way to go. Paying interest as you know is like opening the window and trowing your money out off the window.

I know not everyone can put the money down for a large purchase. I in my younger years also had to purchase almost everything on credit.

In your case if you like to keep the car by all means make a lump sum payment and pay off the car as soon as you can. If you add mods then at least you know you will be enjoying them for as long as you do have the car. Perhaps even the interest you would pay (if you pay it off over an extended period) might pay for the mods you plan to make.

In the end it's a deccison only you can make so my recommendation would be to open a spreadsheet enter the numbers and your deccison proccess will be simplifyed once you see the numbers. In addition make a list of pros and cons if you should purchase or not or keep leasing the car.

Good luck

PS. If you go with the purchase shop for the best interest rate you can get see your frendly banker, remember you already payed for a good chunk of your car so the low interest loan you are shopping for will be easer to get with your nice car as collateral.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
To pay off as soon as one can is always the best way to go. Paying interest as you know is like opening the window and trowing your money out off the window.

I know not everyone can put the money down for a large purchase. I in my younger years also had to purchase almost everything on credit.

In your case if you like to keep the car by all means make a lump sum payment and pay off the car as soon as you can. If you add mods then at least you know you will be enjoying them for as long as you do have the car. Perhaps even the interest you would pay (if you pay it off over an extended period) might pay for the mods you plan to make.

In the end it's a deccison only you can make so my recommendation would be to open a spreadsheet enter the numbers and your deccison proccess will be simplifyed once you see the numbers. In addition make a list of pros and cons if you should purchase or not or keep leasing the car.

Good luck

PS. If you go with the purchase shop for the best interest rate you can get see your frendly banker, remember you already payed for a good chunk of your car so the low interest loan you are shopping for will be easer to get with your nice car as collateral.
      07-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
red998
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT

i was in the same seat.
i bought wheels, and i paid double/triple per month.
worked out well in retrospect.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00
Early hurt her credit? Explain....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Sometimes people get dinged for not having enough "accounts" open. On my report they actually ding me for having too many accounts, and then again for it being too long since I opened an account. It's really just a game to keep people's credit score lower to command higher rates.

Even IF you were to get dinged by "closing" the car's line of credit, it's far outweighed by not having that $50k in bad debt.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
MauriceBoh
Rep
Drives: bmw

i was in the same seat.
      07-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
damn, 20+ cars and paid cash for a m3...

what business am i not in?.... mentor me..
Can we not read between the lines?
Appreciate 0