BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Angry 35 Mile test drive. For a DVD replacement....

Classic BMW Plano - what a disappointment.

Dropped the M3 for a replacement (out of warranty) of the NAV DVD player. Tempted to do it myself for exactly this sort of reason, but decided not having to figure out how to remove entire dash trip was worth the $400 labor charge, especially after my SA (Christian) agreed to throw in an updated DVD.

As always, had a "DO NOT WASH" sign in the trunk which I tossed on the dash when leaving it, and also mentioned that to the SA, although by phone just after leaving it. The car had just been washed, driven only 20 miles since and was spotless. The car had not a swirl in it, has always been hand washed, only by me and has hours of time invested in the current sealant/wax finish. Hell, it's never even been in the rain.

Replacing the NAV DVD was the only work performed. Took them two full days since part was ordered.

Picked it up yesterday and notice as they pulled up it that it looked like there were water spots on it. Pulled out of the bay, got out in sun to look at it and sure enough, it's been run through a machine and there are swirls all over. I know it's nothing permanent, but they are very prevelant on every surface, and are only coming out with a lot of time and these two hands. Oh - the DO NOT WASH sign was still in the car, tossed on the floor.

Get back in, and for the first time in many, many service visits anywhere think to look at mileage. Compare to paperwork from check-in. It has 35 miles more on it than when dropped. Oh - and the DVD in the drive (well, at least it WORKS now) is the 2008 version.

Walked in, got SA, showed him, we sit down with the Service Manager who honestly seemed nearly as pissed as I was, but of then it's not his car. Of course, there's really not much he can do since the miles are on, we have no way to know who, how, where or how much they beat on the car while driving. We did do a more thorough walk around to verify no dings, rash, etc. When they pulled the records, even they don't match up and the mileage out was documented as 10 miles less than was actually on the car, but still 25 more than were on at drop off.

Service tech acknowledged the test loop he drove to test GPS positioning, and that description explains about 6-9 miles. Max.

The manager was as accommodating as he probably could be.
  • He offered to detail the car but agreed that I probably wouldn't be any more happy with the results. Offered to reimburse for someone else to correct it, which I'm unlikely to pursue either.
  • He made a reasonable concession of the charges, which while it takes out some of the sting, really isn't a direct remedy for the issues.
  • The SA was the one who apparently mistakenly offered the updated DVD, acknowledged that, and they're getting me that comped.
  • They agreed to run a full diagnostic on the car early next week and verify that it has no record of over-revs. I told him I was no little old lady and we drove the car hard, but it hadn't been abused. As the manager put it, "it's your property, you should be able to do what you want. It's not ours."
  • He told me he'd let me know what they found out from a review of the camera footage. I don't really expect that, and again it can't undo this, but a nice gesture.

I know the car isn't a fragile piece of crystal and is likely fine, but other than checking for a money-shift on someone else's time in the car, is there really anything else I could/should be checking?

Idiots. Why is stuff like this allowed to happen anyway? I'll get over it, but it really put me in a foul mood and I know I'll have to correct the paint ASAP or it will drive me nuts. That was NOT on my schedule this month...

09-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

I always stress the "do not wash," fortunately, my dealer here in Raleigh has always been happy to oblige. Now that I have a Jerez Black car, there is no way it will ever see a mechanical car wash.

The 35 mile joy ride is totally unacceptable! I would be pissed too.
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Damn that sucks. But it sounds like the dealer actually cares and is trying to remedy the situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

I understand your frustration, but it does seem that the dealer is really trying to make things right. I think you could run into this at any dealership. I know Classic is a pretty big dealership with a large volume of cars going through their service department; much tougher to manage.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

I am really sorry to read this. I would feel exactly the same way as you!

As you say, it is not important in the big scheme of things, but when one is so passionate about his car and gives such precise instructions.... Why do we need to deal with pure incompetence??

The reaction of the service manager would have made me feel better though.

Hope you will get her back in shape ASAP.
      09-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

This guy is near you(http://www.detailperfection.com/). He will do a very satisfactory job correcting your paint finish. I've used him myself. He's active on DFW Autoclub as Qship5.

Also, suggest you check out Autoscope in Plano for non-warranty work.
      09-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

that sucks man ! at my boys shop if the repair requires an extensive test drive (longer than down the block and back) he specifically tells the customer , especially if its anything nice/special. most of the time people appreciate that they are making sure it is actually fixed..

but a nav fix. is not like he drove it 30 miles to make sure your brakes work. totally unacceptable !
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I would go to the SA and general manager and tell them to forget about all that other crap. There is only one thing that is adequate compensation after such an incident:

Find out who did it and fire them in my presence.
      09-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm not 100% on this but I think the mileage gets written to the key when you start the car.

So that would mean the the only miles put on it were 5 by the dealer bc you started the car drove 20 miles where they read the keys mileage for the paper work, then the tech added 5 for testing plus the 10 in error is 35 miles.

Sucks they washed your car though, but at least they are trying to fix it.
      09-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
phichi1106
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Well after reading this and the 200 mile ride they took in mine, guess I'll be calling the general manager...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by phichi1106 View Post
Well after reading this and the 200 mile ride they took in mine, guess I'll be calling the general manager...
what dealership in NJ ?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

there was a story around here about guy who was pretty sure his jaguar had been taken on a joyride at the dealer,who denied it.about a week later,the owner got a redlight camera ticket for the car in the mail from a town 75 miles away-that he hadn't been to,on the day the car was at the dealer.that pretty much made the case.

ferris bueller meets big brother.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I would go to the SA and general manager and tell them to forget about all that other crap. There is only one thing that is adequate compensation after such an incident:

Find out who did it and fire them in my presence.
I don't think your punishment is extreme enough. You should always have a ceremonial sword in your trunk for just such a situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MMB View Post
I'm not 100% on this but I think the mileage gets written to the key when you start the car.

So that would mean the the only miles put on it were 5 by the dealer bc you started the car drove 20 miles where they read the keys mileage for the paper work, then the tech added 5 for testing plus the 10 in error is 35 miles.
I don't follow. I dropped the car off with 15,644. When they handed it back to me, it had 15,679. Both readings from the odo, simple as that.

The 15,644 is on my phone pictures, as well as their records. The mileage out handwritten on the work order was 15,659 (my mistake above). Mileage on odo at the same time was 15,679. Lies, on top of the joy ride.
      09-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
[*]They agreed to run a full diagnostic on the car early next week and verify that it has no record of over-revs. I told him I was no little old lady and we drove the car hard, but it hadn't been abused. As the manager put it, "it's your property, you should be able to do what you want. It's not ours."
Hallelujah! I wish more dealership managers and employees felt this way. Hopefully it's not just lip service.

In a way it's too bad we have to deal with service advisors as middlemen between us and the techs. Something tells me that if you were able to speak to the tech directly each time, and they therefore knew you, they would be much less likely to joyride in and/or abuse your car. The way it is now for the techs or other employees driving your car, it's just another anonymous M3 brought in by another anonymous customer.

As I mentioned to phichi1106 earlier regarding the 200+ miles added to his car during a service visit, it might be worthwhile to buy a cheap GPS tracking device to leave in the car during dealer visits. That way you can see where the car is from your home computer, and it would look awfully suspicious if the car were off dealer property at 11pm on a weekend, or doing 110mph on local roads...
      09-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

What's odd is that they don't know who drove it putting all those miles on. I'd call all the techs and lot guys in a room and settle this in 5 minutes. Make an example of someone.

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeair View Post
I don't follow. I dropped the car off with 15,644. When they handed it back to me, it had 15,679. Both readings from the odo, simple as that.

The 15,644 is on my phone pictures, as well as their records. The mileage out handwritten on the work order was 15,659 (my mistake above). Mileage on odo at the same time was 15,679. Lies, on top of the joy ride.
I thought you were going from the mileage that the dealer puts on the paper work, that comes from your key when they read it. If it came from your phone pics then I was wrong.
      09-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i completely understand and agree that you would be very upset... but the problems are almost what you would expect from a dealership.
its like going to McDonald's and ordering a burger without pickels, and chicken nuggets with a certain sauce- the goons are bound to screw it up because there are too many variables. either you are going to get pickles on your burger, or your sauce is going to be wrong.

my point is, although a dealership might hire great service advisers, salesmen, and mechanics, but there are still going to be plenty of idiots running the cars to and from the work bays, to the parking lot, to the washer. you'll generally get one that doesn't care about your car or the next guy.
      09-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

i just don't understand why the dealership had to wash the car. I mean he had the note and everything. ridiculous.

But at least their trying to fix the problem..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
i just don't understand why the dealership had to wash the car. I mean he had the note and everything. ridiculous.
Might have gotten it dirty from the "test drive" (e.g., bugs on hood and windshield), so they had to wash it to remove the evidence.

As others have said, at least the manager is trying to make things right.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Invadermoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: camaro

I made you guys something. Happy birthday. Goes on your mirror if you cut it out. They cant miss that, and if they do wash it with that hanging up there, then you REALLY have something to talk to the manage about

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Might have gotten it dirty from the "test drive" (e.g., bugs on hood and windshield), so they had to wash it to remove the evidence.

As others have said, at least the manager is trying to make things right.

Yea true, I mean if you think about it... the dealer had your car for x amount of days I'm sure it probably did accumulate some kind of mess. So it would be kind of sketchy to just give the car back in such a manner. But i've told dealers not to wash my car before, and I'd say half the time they complied and well the other half, not so much.
Appreciate 0