BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

BPM

04-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

What coilovers are you guys using?

I'm going to be putting in a full M3 rear end (EDC) and front hubs brakes etc in my 335i soon, and am looking at coilover options for the M3. The used rear end I have purchased doesnt come with springs or shocks, so rather then spend $ replacing these with used or new shocks i thought i would be best to go for a new coilover setup.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...736865&page=16

My car will be predominantly a road car and I do envision to do a few driver ed type track days and a few runs down the strip, but ultimately I think I'm after a setup that is firmer then the existing oem suspension but still retains a oem like ride

Ultimately I would go for the ohlins R&T dampers, but doing the m3 conversion is going to cost me enough as is in labour and parts, so I'm think of going for a compromise such as BC BR coilovers or a cheaper offering such as the bilstein B16 (over $1k cheaper then the ohlins) entry level JRZ's etc

So what coilover setup are you running, and how have you found the ride handling and reliability after sales service of your setup?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Most of us have EDC, so run H&R springs.

The only coilover setups I've seen used are KW's, but they were dedicated track cars. If you're not living at the track, an OEM style spring and damper setup would probably do the job and be easier to install, especially if you want to use the EDC.

Or you could just buy an M3
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I'm going to be putting in a full M3 rear end (EDC) and front hubs brakes etc in my 335i soon, and am looking at coilover options for the M3. The used rear end I have purchased doesnt come with springs or shocks, so rather then spend $ replacing these with used or new shocks i thought i would be best to go for a new coilover setup.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...736865&page=16

My car will be predominantly a road car and I do envision to do a few driver ed type track days and a few runs down the strip, but ultimately I think I'm after a setup that is firmer then the existing oem suspension but still retains a oem like ride

Ultimately I would go for the ohlins R&T dampers, but doing the m3 conversion is going to cost me enough as is in labour and parts, so I'm think of going for a compromise such as BC BR coilovers or a cheaper offering such as the bilstein B16 (over $1k cheaper then the ohlins) entry level JRZ's etc

So what coilover setup are you running, and how have you found the ride handling and reliability after sales service of your setup?
Like Jarrad said buy an ///3. Period.

You will never be able to replicate the handling and balance of an /// car by just replacing the suspension. There is a lot more happening in an ///3. 80% of an ///3 is ///specific.

Also keep in mind the series coupe sits lower than an ///3 due to its suspension setup. So replacing the stock suspension with ones from ///3 may adversely affect the handling, unless you know what you're doing. I am not a suspension expert but surely someone from SouthernBMW or other vendors can chip in with that expert opinion.

Good luck with your project.
      04-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

KW's seem to be pretty popular.

I had them on my 135i and was really impressed, have the KW Sleeve over kit on the M3 and very happy too

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Like Jarrad said buy an ///3. Period.

You will never be able to replicate the handling and balance of an /// car by just replacing the suspension. There is a lot more happening in an ///3. 80% of an ///3 is ///specific.

Also keep in mind the series coupe sits lower than an ///3 due to its suspension setup. So replacing the stock suspension with ones from ///3 may adversely affect the handling, unless you know what you're doing. I am not a suspension expert but surely someone from SouthernBMW or other vendors can chip in with that expert opinion.

Good luck with your project.
Hmm unfortunately my budget wont stretch to a M3 and please don't take this the wrong way but I'm not intending to imitate a /// its just when the factory equipment is interchangeable and is much better then aftermarket offerings I decided to go with the full M3 suspension setup for the lsd, brakes and suspension bushes/links.

As you may or may be aware the 335I runs an open diff and a lsd diff centre is a must do mod for some track work, and then due to the increased torque of a modded N54 the rear ends start squirming around due to the soft bushings, so the N54 guys spend a lot of $ installing M3 bushings links etc to firm the rear up and adding a lsd diff centre to the 335i diff.

By replacing the entire suspension with a M3 setup, you can save costs somewhat but you end up with much beefier driveshafts and diff combo along with better brakes.

Yes you're correct the ride height is higher in the /// also, which is another reason why I'm seeking feedback from you guys in what coilovers work, as for me it would be costly to buy two rear shocks and springs which im missing then end up having to buy lowering springs/kw sleeve kit $1K+ to get to the desired ride height.

Therefore I figured I will either go for the eibach/bilstein prokit combo or go for an entry level coilover kit such as the

h&r street

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...uspension.aspx

BC BR's

http://bc-racing.com.au/br-type-coil...es-e92-en.html

or go midrange for the bilstein B18's $2k (I can get them cheaper then turners price)

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-13...uspension.aspx

and then in 12 months time pony up and go for the ohlins R&T's $3.5K.

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/pro...it-BMW-M3.html

At this stage I'm thinking of going with the bilstein B18's, as the price of these are quite good (the KW V3's are closer to $3K) but the installation costs for the setup will be quite high, and im sure there will be a few unexpected costs involved also which always occurs with a mod such as this!

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 04-09-2013 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha3l View Post
KW's seem to be pretty popular.

I had them on my 135i and was really impressed, have the KW Sleeve over kit on the M3 and very happy too
Cheers!

Unfortunately I'm missing the edc rear shocks and springs, so the KW sleeve kit isnt really a cost effective option for me (unless I could get rear oem shocks for cheap) but I can understand why you would have gone for them being a newish car with low kays and a more effective option then lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Hmm unfortunately my budget wont stretch to a M3 and please don't take this the wrong way but I'm not intending to imitate a /// its just when the factory equipment is interchangeable and is much better then aftermarket offerings I decided to go with the full M3 suspension setup for the lsd, brakes and suspension bushes/links.

As you may or may be aware the 335I runs an open diff and a lsd diff centre is a must do mod for some track work, and then due to the increased torque of a modded N54 the rear ends start squirming around due to the soft bushings, so the N54 guys spend a lot of $ installing M3 bushings links etc to firm the rear up and adding a lsd diff centre to the 335i diff.

By replacing the entire suspension with a M3 setup, you can save costs somewhat but you end up with much beefier driveshafts and diff combo along with better brakes.

Yes you're correct the ride height is higher in the /// also, which is another reason why I'm seeking feedback from you guys in what coilovers work, as for me it would be costly to buy two rear shocks and springs which im missing then end up having to buy lowering springs/kw sleeve kit $1K+ to get to the desired ride height.

Therefore I figured I will either go for the eibach/bilstein prokit combo or go for an entry level coilover kit such as the

h&r street

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...uspension.aspx

BC BR's

http://bc-racing.com.au/br-type-coil...es-e92-en.html

or go midrange for the bilstein B18's $2k (I can get them cheaper then turners price)

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-13...uspension.aspx

and then in 12 months time pony up and go for the ohlins R&T's $3.5K.

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/pro...it-BMW-M3.html

At this stage I'm thinking of going with the bilstein B18's, as the price of these are quite good (the KW V3's are closer to $3K) but the installation costs for the setup will be quite high, and im sure there will be a few unexpected costs involved also which always occurs with a mod such as this!
Nothing against you undertaking the transformation. Just pointing out a couple of things and as said before I hope someone with the expertise will help you out. Anyway, keep us posted with your project, and good luck
      04-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

The Bilstein and H&R would both be good kits. H&R is a good brand and competitively priced.

I used to run 19psi on a 335 back in '08 and agree the biggest problem was putting the power down. Even with fat tyres, the rear end would just squirrel around in gears 1-3, but that was mostly because it lacked LSD.

Sounds like a good project
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

HI MFKN3
Was that your car at Mikes the other week getting the supercharger fitted as mine was getting the suspension fitted the next day.
      04-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
HI MFKN3
Was that your car at Mikes the other week getting the supercharger fitted as mine was getting the suspension fitted the next day.
Hi mate, actually Mike mentioned you were booked in. I was in getting an oil change
Appreciate 0