BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 ZCP Mexico Blue M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm wondering if...

Have any of you current M3 owners been in my situation? Let me explain.

I just picked up a new-to-me 335i, fully loaded (navigation, sport, premium, comfort access, privacy shades, etc), and I'm having a new transmission put in under warranty because of a hard 2nd to 3rd shift I felt. My dealership recommended we replace the transmission because of the degree of difficulty of tearing down the transmission and trying to pinpoint exactly what was causing the hard shift. Not sure I agree with replacing the entire transmission over that, but it all worked out in the end, so no harm done.

Any who, while my 335 was at the dealer, I was contemplating maybe looking for something else just in case the transmission work wasn't covered under my warranty. I took a look around, and found a jaw-dropping deal on a 2011 M3 sedan in Connecticut (I'm in Virginia). I didn't like the thought of having to deal with a dealership out-of-state, so I looked at a local dealer (different from the one where I brought my 335 for service) where a friend of mine works, and found two additional jaw-dropping deals on two 2008 M5's. It's ridiculous.

Now, I'm faced with a few perplexing decisions; I could a) keep my fully loaded 335 that looks and performs just fine, a car that I'm very happy with, b) call up this place in Connecticut and work with them for the 2011 M3, or c) run down the street and have my buddy help with a deal on an M5 here in town. The M3 and both M5's are identical in price, and in options. The M3 is fully loaded, with aftermarket parts still equipped (seems to be a set of VMR rims and carbon fiber front splitters, from what I can see). Has a total of 24,734 miles.

The two M5's are both MY2008, fully loaded, both under 50,000 miles, and both priced identically. I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, the enthusiast hand, I'm wanting to go after what are arguably my dream cars. I absolutely love both the M3 and the M5, primarily because they're both sedans. If the M3 were a coupe, it'd be an easier decision to make. Not only are they sedans, they're racing sedans. They're unbelievable driving machines, and I would probably kill to have one. But then, on the opposite hand, the level-headed hand, I already own a beautifully maintained, fully equipped 335i that has more than enough power to last me a good while. I enjoy it now, and will enjoy it for the remainder of it's warranty (2 years).

So, what would you do?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

M3 was and is my dream car for years... So I'm biased. I've driven a 5 (not M) for a long weekend (rental) up and down the Florida Keys and in Miami. Fun, but big... Personally I didn't fall in love.

335 would have been my backup if I didn't just stumble on to MY M3. So... Here's what i have to offer...

1. Move fast. Drive at least one of the M5s. Fall in love or don't. Just see how you feel.
2. Drive YOUR car out of state ASAFP to that M3. Call ahead and tell them your interest. Put your mark on it and try to hold it at least until you drive it.
3. After you've driven the cars in the running, then choose POWERFULLY. make the car that is yours... YOURS!!!

Follow that dream quick or it'll be someone else's dream come true.

I got mine and I'm incredibly fortunate, grateful, and overall... delighted!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808620
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'm trying to weigh the options between my current 335 and the M3.

- Much younger model year.
- Factory warranty, plus extended warranty would net some decent driving time.
- M3.
- CIC navigation.
- Sedan.
- M3.
- Beautiful color (Space Gray).
- M3.
- Tastefully modded (and kept that way).
+ Carbon fiber roundels.
+ CSL trunk lid.
+ 19" VMR v710's.
+ Carbon fiber front splitters.

Did I mention it's an M3?

The M5's up at my local place look good, but the 2011 model year is really pulling me in. I'd rather have a car as close to new as possible, and holy cow, 24,000 miles is pretty darn new (both M5's have 34,000 and 42,000). The M3 and both M5's are priced identically, an both M5's have been sitting on the lot for months. The M3 since the beginning of April.

I know I'll love both the M3 and M5, but my biggest is concern is how quickly I'll have gone through the 335. Has anyone else done this? I feel a bit odd swooning over an M3 when I'm sitting in a gorgeous 335 right now.

Decisions, decisions!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

M5's generally depreciate a lot faster then you would expect because no one wants to own one out of warranty. They are not as reliable as the M3 and parts are more expensive as well.

I would recommend test driving an E92 or E90 from a local dealer and see if you fall in love. If so, take the journey to connecticut.

Search through all of the threads that 335 to M3 converts have made and you'll see that NO ONE has regretted that decision.

Best of luck!
      05-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Part of my reasoning so far includes:

The 335i has two years of warranty left, and that's it. I won't own it out of warranty because of what I'm having to do right now (replace the transmission). I haven't owned it long, and I don't mind at all having a brand new transmission put it since the rest of the car functions perfectly, as verified by two separate dealers, so it's not like I'm looking for a reason to dump it. But, and it's a huge but; the deal on the M3 just seems too good to pass up, and I know it won't be there long. If it were here instead of Connecticut, it might be a done deal. I also really like the fact that the M3 has quite a bit of factory warranty left with room for a primo extended warranty (with the same company that authorized a replacement transmission).

What I don't want to do is become obsessed over another upgrade so soon after upgrading from an N52 330i. I'm also wary of being blinded by the M3 and not appreciating what I already have (a very clean 335 that I swooned over much in the same way I'm doing now over the M3). Then it occurs to me that it's a relatively new M3, and will provide an immense amount of joy and satisfaction. They are just cars, after all.

For future reference:

Last edited by ///Macht; 05-02-2013 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

I have never been a big M5 guy, but i LOVE that E50 engine. Its a RARE engine for a non supercar to have. but the M5 looks are getting dated fast, and thats why i would go M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

If you read what you have written - I say go get the M3. Its the natural progression from the 335i. People dont know just how much different an M3 is from a 335i In the manuals section of this forum there is a post of the BMW publication for employees explaining the M3 - take a look at that - its an amazingly detailed look at what makes an M3 an M3 http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697482

I had a 550 msport and it is a big car. I would be very leary of getting into a M5 without a warranty.

Last edited by cwg; 05-02-2013 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: link
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Everything in my bones says get the M3, and everything in my head says stick with the 335. Not because the 335 is "better" than the M3, but because I just bought the thing. That's my main hesitation; do I upgrade to an M3 so soon after upgrading to a 335?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Macht View Post
Everything in my bones says get the M3, and everything in my head says stick with the 335. Not because the 335 is "better" than the M3, but because I just bought the thing. That's my main hesitation; do I upgrade to an M3 so soon after upgrading to a 335?
Yes - you only live once!
      05-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Do it you won't regret it. I have been through 4 cars in the past two years and the m3 is what I will stay with and end up paying off. The difference between the 335 is vast and as soon as you start it up it will bring a smile to your face.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Were you upside-down in your previous car when switching to the M3? It's been so little time between purchase and now that if I sold it, I would get close to what I paid for it, and be able to jump right into the M3, but because I've never jumped from car to car in such quick succession, I'm unsure how I'll be sitting afterwards.

Edit: and the more I think about it, but the more a factory warranty + the possibility of an extended warranty afterwards really appeal to me, even if it weren't an M3. One of the downsides to the 335 right now is knowing that I likely won't drive it for more than a few years.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Quote:
If 2008 M5s are priced the same as a 2011 M3, the M5s are over priced or the M3 is a great deal.

For reference, Kelly Blue Book has an 08 M5 with 40,000 miles at a dealer for around $40,000, a 2011 M3 with 25,000 miles at a dealer is $53,000 with no options.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
The M5's are priced correctly, and the M3 is a downright steal. That's the main reason I'm considering moving on it even with a recently bought 335i. No collision damage, but there may be more to the story. CARFAX has been requested. Another reason why I'm a bit torn between it and the M5's is that the M5's are local. I can test drive them easily, I know the dealer very well, and can likely get an even better deal, and they'll take my 335 off my hands pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #14
maesd74
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan comp package

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Macht
I did something very similar. I bought a 2011 335i xdrive in March of 2011. Come December of that same year I strolled into my local dealership to pick up some winter floor mats and left with the draw dropping 2011E90 M3...with a DCT and the ZCP option. The 335 was a great car, but these vehicles are just completely different. In hindsight however, I made a mistake in doing this deal. For my situation, with my family etc...I should have kept the 335i. I live in Colorado and the M never saw the light of day when snow or winter conditions would arrive. Many would tell you "I drive mine in the snow all the time, you just need to know to drive." I needed AWD for the safety etc. and didn't want a third vehicle. My point is is that you gotta do what's best for you. If financially you can take being upside down on your 335 and don't need AWD capabilities, I guarantee you will be hooked on the M3. I most certainly was. I drove the E60 M5 as well...and loved the torque, but the DCT in the M3 is amazing to me.

Unfortunately I don't have the M3 anymore, I ultimately needed more space and AWD. So I have an Audi S6, but one day..I will end up with another M3.

Good luck -
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #15
nvladik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
///Macht, I don't want to crap all over your dream, but if it's a great deal on an M3, something's wrong. I was searching for a clean and well prices M3 since December, and finally picked one up 2 weeks ago. I saw the same exact car I think you are looking at about a month ago, and did some research on the dealer selling it, they specialize in salvaged cars. They won't list it on the site, but they will tell you over the phone if you ask. If you decide to go with this car after all, make sure exactly what was wrong with it and what they did to the car to restore it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #16
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
+ Carbon fiber roundels.

Otherwise sounds like a nice car. I'm sure one of our vendors can help supply you with proper Roundels.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
I had an E92 335i that was running out of warranty (an 07 that I bought CPO). I knew I couldn't stomach owning that car out of warranty, so I sold it and went to an E90 M3 WITHOUT warranty. Haven't regretted it for a single second.

The M3 has been my dream car since I was knee-high to a grasshopper.

After owning a coupe, the sedan has been an awesome change.

The only thing that gives me the slightest hesitation in your scenario is the CIC vs CCC. I was really tired of the dated functionality of my 07 iDrive and I knew I had to hold out for an 09+ (and the LCI tails on the sedan look nice too).

If it really is a steal (proceed with caution!) you could always buy it and do a CIC upgrade/retrofit and happily drive it until it rusts into the ground. The 335 is nice but the M is special.

(+1 on the comment above about proper roundels)
      05-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
nmehta211
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvladik
///Macht, I don't want to crap all over your dream, but if it's a great deal on an M3, something's wrong. I was searching for a clean and well prices M3 since December, and finally picked one up 2 weeks ago. I saw the same exact car I think you are looking at about a month ago, and did some research on the dealer selling it, they specialize in salvaged cars. They won't list it on the site, but they will tell you over the phone if you ask. If you decide to go with this car after all, make sure exactly what was wrong with it and what they did to the car to restore it.
That car is a salvage. Beware!

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Just got off the phone with the dealer, actually. It seems the M3 has a rebuilt title for "minor" water damage, otherwise characterized as "dry" by the dealer. I always knew there was a story behind the deal, and I figured if it wasn't too gruesome, it might be worth consideration.

As it stands right now, likely going to pass. One of the biggest draws was the factory warranty, and a rebuilt title squashes that. What I'm unsure of, however, is if an extended warranty from a third party is attainable on a car with a rebuilt title. Nevertheless, my skepticism kept me up most of the night looking for not-so-too-good-to-be-true deals, and I've happened upon quite a few M3's closer to me in the '09 and '10 range that are certified one-owner, damage-free cars with the same price tag but with slightly more miles, so the dilemma remains!

335i, or M3?

...or M5.

Edit: M3 dream still alive, this time with the runner-up, a 2010 E92 with 56,789 on the odometer. Clean CARFAX (no damage, certified one-owner). Upside is a somewhat thorough history of the car via CARFAX, well-equipped, low mileage. Downside is the lack of the factory warranty, but at the price, extended coverage can be added no problem. Additional downside is most, if not all, of the cars I'm looking at are far enough out-of-state that it wouldn't be possible to see the car in person. The 2010 I'm looking at now was registered by a corporation, and not an individual, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by ///Macht; 05-02-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #20
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

After reading your posts, you are getting an M3. It's not a question anymore. Now you need to take a breath and come up with a plan before you run out and just get one to have one. Figure out the differences in model year, see if things like combox or competition package make any difference to you. Then find out if you are upside down on your 335i and how much.
Out of state M3 is not such a big deal esp if its still under warranty and they have service records.
Just get your ducks in a row because once you find a good one they usually go fast, especially now that its going to be hard to find new ones to order or on dealer lots.

The following link takes you to a thread I started when I was looking for a used M3. You will see members stories vary wildly from cars falling in their lap, to searching months/years, or giving up and ordering new (like me).

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814518

Good luck in your quest.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #21
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Hah! Well, I'd sure love to have one. I guess right now it's all about deciding whether or not I want to unload a perfectly good 335i. When I started this little search, I had expected my warranty company to give me trouble over my transmission, and when they said they'd buy me a brand new one, I was like "well, shit." Right now, after just a cursory glance over what's available, I see an '09 coupe that I really like just a few miles away, and a '10 coupe in Florida, both with clean service records so far.

Concerning options, my only requirement would be nothing less than what my 335i is equipped with. I don't want to go backwards. I've seen some decently priced M3's with no navigation, and my initial thought always pertains to why someone would not want navigation in a car with such a hefty price tag, both new and used. Competition package would be nice, but isn't a deal breaker. If I were to custom order anything, I'd pretty much be limited to a fully loaded 335i M-Sport, seeing as how I'd go nuts and drive a new M3's price through the roof!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M DGM/SO

I agree with nvladik - there are no real deals on a good M3. Do your research and due diligence. Nothing worse than buying your dream car and then have major issues. In this market you get what you pay for... I looked for a long time and decided to buy new (a 2013 MR E92). Good luck.
Appreciate 0