BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

06-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

What Pads are you guys using?

I'm due for a new set of pads (I will be running M3 brakes on my 335i) and its a minefield out there in terms of what to buy!

The car is mainly used for daily driving, and i plan to do the odd track day (once every 6 months)

So is the oem pad the one for me?

What is the oem pad, I believe there are 4 different manufacturers (TRW being one by memory)

I noticed the bosch pads are cheap, has anyone had any luck with them? Also EBC's are quite cheap also, but I believe these aren't as popular as they use to be?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
drjekl
Captain
Rep

I have spent a few hrs last night researching pad options, and a few have been mentioned:

hawk hps - apparentley these are a quite low dust upgrade from stock style pad that have a few favourable reviews, but then there are a few negative comments that they eat rotors...

stop tech street performance - once again these are a quite low dust agressive street pad, I haven't found many negative comments

Maybe its best to get a set of oem pads (textar/TRW/ATE etc) and a set of pagid yellows for the circuit (the pagids have excellent reviews but are expensive)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

Stop techs are good. I like Hawk though, and some others at the track rave about them too.

I run hawk hp plus during track season. Swapping back and forth is a PITA, so I leave them in during winter when I'm at the track regularly. They are squeeky around town though. A front set lasts about 6-8 track days, I actually just ordered a new set this weekend.

I also have a set of ferodo DS2500 here, but haven't used them yet but they get good reviews.

For the track, steel lines, RBF600 fluid and track pads is 100x better than OEM setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Stop techs are good. I like Hawk though, and some others at the track rave about them too.

I run hawk hp plus during track season. Swapping back and forth is a PITA, so I leave them in during winter when I'm at the track regularly. They are squeeky around town though. A front set lasts about 6-8 track days, I actually just ordered a new set this weekend.

I also have a set of ferodo DS2500 here, but haven't used them yet but they get good reviews.

For the track, steel lines, RBF600 fluid and track pads is 100x better than OEM setup.
Thanks for your feedback!

Yeah i couldnt handle squeeling brakes... hows the brake modulation around town on the hawk hp plus pads? Do they chew rotors?

What brand of lines do you have, i will most likely go with goodridge lines and the motul rbf 600 fluid also.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

They're fine around town, I just sound like a school bus. When they're new, the cold bite is a bit weak though. I was actually put on to the hp+ by the guys at turner Motorsport.

Swapping between OEM and HP+ required a bit of bedding in but rotor wear seems fine. I think the pads wear out quicker rather than chewing rotors. I've barely got any noticeable lip on the rotors so hardly worn. I just went with the ECS lines. To be honest, it would take some convincing for me to upgrade to a BBK given their price when fluid, lines and pads are relatively cheap and to me have been amazing over OEM setup. Fade is greatly reduced. Also make sure to bleed the lines after a few track days.

If you're after a street and track pad you can leave in without the squeal, the stop techs or ds2500 might be ok, but it's hard to get the best of both.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

I put ST Street Pef on a couple months ago with good results. Cheap (Ebay) and very similar to stock pads around town as far as dust, quiet, and bite.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Endless ME 20 are the best I have had. Do 1000klms a week on them then take them to the track, amazing pad !
Appreciate 0