BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is #319/586

how can i telll if a car has bluetooth/sirius?

so im looking to buy a 2011 135i from carmax and haveing it transfered to my state. i really like the car and ive asked the sales person if the car had bluetooth and satilite radio. one sales person told me it has sirius but no bluetooth. the other told me it has bluetooth but no sirius. then in a third call i was told it has both. carmax has offered to refund my transfer fee if it does not have these fetures. but i would have to wait 28 days to find out. clearly they have no clue about BMWs. i was wondering if there was a way to tell by looking at pictures if it has either of these? it has the Harman Kardon but no nav. it has the Msport package and the little picture of the person talking and the picture of the phone on the steering wheel. does this mean it has bluetooth?

Last edited by Fade135is; 06-27-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

If you have the last 7 of the vin, your best bet is to run it through one of those vin decoders which will show everything on the car.

Try this one below:

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/

If it has the premium package (leather or universal garage door opener rearview mirror will likely be evidence of that), it likely has Sirius. If no premium package, the vin decoder may be misleading as it likely will show 693A which is the satellite prep module but won't tell you if it's actually turned on.

The bluetooth/voice command button on the steering wheel unfortunately isn't an indicator as my last 135 had the button but no bluetooth.

Also, you can rest somewhat assured that even if the sirius isn't on/unlocked, you can get that done for a couple hundred bucks if it has that 693A listed in the vin decoder as I recently had that done. They should be able to cycle through the radio bands though and easily see if it lists FM/AM/SAT and tell you.

Last edited by gregthegr8; 06-27-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep

thanks im almost certain it doesnt have the premium package, beacuse it has manual seats. also i do not see it on the vin decoder. is there is there a 4 digit code for the bluetooth i should be looking for?

Last edited by Fade135is; 06-27-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I'm not sure what the code is for bluetooth exactly but may look for BMW assist as well. I may have to defer to someone else who may know more about the bluetooth without the tech package because it sounds like the newer ones have some form of it standard, but not the voice command functions.

You may also want to post the last 7 of the vin and maybe someone on here can look through it and be able to tell. Let an expert such as Dackel figure it out since he is all-knowing.

If it has the 693A though, know that the car is at least equipped with the antenna and ability to get Sirius, and there's a reputable company on the forum here that can remotely turn on the Sirius for you for like $300+ which includes a 1-year subscription, so that would be your worst case scenario on that front.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep

thanks Greg, just saved me a lot of hassle. i ended up just canceling the transfer after paying the $300 for the sirius and the whatever the cost of BT would be. the deal just wouldn't be as sweet. plus waiting the 28 days for the transfer might have killed me. this forum has been such a help.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

That's what we're here for. We only charge a small finder's fee.

The Sirius is a big pain in the butt cause the cars are pre-wired, but our good pals at BMW basically lock it on the menu so you can't access it unless you pay an exorbitant fee (a dealer will charge $500+tax).

Hope you find the right one for you or maybe in a few days they'll cut the price another $1,000. =P What you looking at/for? I know someone on here seems to be selling a pristine black 135i in northern california.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
If it has the 693A though, know that the car is at least equipped with the antenna and ability to get Sirius, and there's a reputable company on the forum here that can remotely turn on the Sirius for you for like $300+ which includes a 1-year subscription, so that would be your worst case scenario on that front.
Seriously? I have 693A but no sat nav. Can I still get Sirius enabled?
      06-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Wouldn't the easiest way to check for blue tooth is to pull up the rear trunk carpet and look for the MULF com box (drivers side near the rear seat back) in the trunk. Or maybe see if your phone syncs to the car.

here is what the mulf come box looks like on an e9x model...
Name:  MULF COM BOX  e9x   DSCN1144.jpg
Views: 42418
Size:  177.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm not a Sirius fan, so I don't have it activated, but what about using their smartphone app, and bypassing the Sirius car radio (other than plugging in your phone)?

The cars I've had for the last 10 years have had Sirius/XM functions - it's starting to seem like an 8-track player...
      06-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Yes, I think its possible. You should contact one of the forum sponsors like BMW retrofit.com or Patrys@BimmerTech for more info.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Yes, I just went through this as I ordered the tech package, but not the premium package, thinking, the car will be equipped for Sirius, I just wasn't getting that 1 year included that's in the premium package so will pay for the year.

Much to my chagrin, when the car showed up last month, the satellite didn't even show on the menu and I was very upset, called the dealer, they initially said it would be $1900!!! I then started researching it on here and many people highly recommended the people at bimmer-tech, which was a little over $300 to remotely code your car and activate the sirius (which includes 1 year of service). The dealer then said a couple of days later they would do it for $500+tax, but I wasn't going to reward this type of shady behavior by BMW.

Anyways, had mine remotely coded by the people at bimmer-tech a couple of weeks ago and had them also do a few other minor coding things as well (enable digital speedo, disable idrive disclaimer, enable DVD in motion) and everything was perfect. So, if you want Sirius, get in touch with them, they'll run your vin to make sure all you need is just coding, and here's a link to where it is on their website. Basically they'll send you a data cable and they use your laptop essentially to connect to your car's computer and take care of everything. Very weird to watch! But very glad I did it as I'm a sirius junkie.

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...radio-retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Fade135is
Private First Class
Rep

Well adding the Sirius doesn't seem too difficult or expensive. Now adding the BT seems to be another story. I can't seem to find anyone that has done it on a non I drive 2011 plus. I'm not even sure if it possible as I don't believe I have BMW assist at least acording to my Vin VM10932. If anyone has more info on this please let me know. I emailed a few vendors waiting for replies.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I remember seeing some posts on here of people who bought some small device/unit that plugs into their auxiliary jack in the center console area that is a bluetooth device. But, I still don't think that would get you all the bluetooth and voice command integration you are probably looking for.
Appreciate 0