BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Dealer forgot to install underbody brace plate - Opinions needed

I brought my car to the dealer for various maintenance items, to fix an exhaust leak and to replace the right side felt under the front bumper that I damaged going down a steep driveway. I pick the car up a few days later after a $900+ bill.

The next Saturday, walking towards the car, I notice that the felt piece I asked to replace is now missing entirely. Looking under the car, I notice that the entire mid section of the under-bumper felt is missing (the large center section also has air ducting for the oil cooler). My first though is that they did not install it properly and it tore away while driving. Further, while driving the car, I also notice there is an unusual vibration mostly felt at idle, as if the exhaust was touching the underbody.

I bring the car back to the dealer at the first opportunity. When they put the car on the lift, they show me that the entire metal brace plate that connects the suspension mounts under the car is also missing and that my engine mounts are shot because the engine is sitting half an inch too low. They say that because of the mounts, the engine probably shook the metal brace out of place. I am quite sceptical, because I don't see how that could have happened. Futher, if I would have lost such a big piece of metal while driving back home, I would have definitely felt it come off. Further, looking at the bolt holes that secure the metal brace, I notice that they are all in perfect condition, not as if the brace was sheared off.

Today, I get a call from the dealer saying that my car is ready but that they found all the missing parts in a Canadian Tire bag in the trunk . They asked me if I had the parts removed at Canadian Tires... Finally, they end up confessing that the mechanic that was working on my car was not feeling well and did not finish the job; he stored the parts in the trunk in the bag. The mechanic that picked up the job on the next day omitted not re-install the front felts and brace (the brace needed to be removed to fix the exhaust leak) .

So I pick the car back today and get a $850 bill for replacing the engine mounts, they did not charge me for installing the front brace and felts . Driving back home, all of a sudden, there is a strong vibration at idle coming from the engine. After investigating, I find that the vibration is coming from the intake plenum rubbing against the top strut tower brace, as if the engine is now sitting too high .

Except for an exhaust leak, I had a car that was driving perfectly fine. Now after $1750 I have a messed up car. It does not add up .

A few questions:

Could the fact that I drove without the bottom suspension brace installed have damaged the engine mounts or other components?

What could cause the engine to now sit too high at touch the top strut tower braces?
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-05-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't get the connection with the mounts and the chassis brace; something isn't right or it's a coincidence the mounts failed. Shit I would have wanted to go with the vibra-technics mounts while they were doing that work
      09-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
1MtoM3
HayZeus
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Weird stuff . What dealer ? Laval ?
I doubt the engine will sit too high .Unless something was twisted or warped when you drove with the parts missing, remounting the engine correctly with original mounts or aftermarket should not have it sitting too high .

MW E92 , Turner test pipes , Vorsteiner Titanium catback, TMS spacers, ESS remap , KW sleeves.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I don't get the connection with the mounts and the chassis brace; something isn't right or it's a coincidence the mounts failed. Shit I would have wanted to go with the vibra-technics mounts while they were doing that work
Looking at various pictures and the sketches from RealOEM.com, it seems that the engine is mounted directly on the front axle (sub frame). The trapezoidal brace plate that the dealer forgot to install bolts directly to the front axle to increase the rigidity.

By driving with the brace plate not installed, I deduce that the front axle could have bent and damage the engine mounts in the process. This could be why the engine now sits too high. I am just speculating and would like some experts to chime in.
Attached Images

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-05-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtoM3 View Post
Unless something was twisted or warped when you drove with the parts missing, remounting the engine correctly with original mounts or aftermarket should not have it sitting too high .
Agreed. See my post above. I think that driving without the brace could have bent the front axle on which the engine is mounted...

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-05-2013 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limerock Grey M3 / Hellrot 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Canbec.

Agreed. See my post above. I think that driving without the brace could have bent the front axle on which the engine is mounted...
What brace, do you have a link to realoem or something? It would be very hard to bend the front subframe. I Have replaced two front subframes and cant recall this brace (might just be a brain fart but a link would be nice)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Today, I get a call from the dealer saying that my car is ready but that they found all the missing parts in a Canadian Tire bag in the trunk . They asked me if I had the parts removed at Canadian Tires... Finally, they end up confessing that the mechanic that was working on my car was not feeling well and did not finish the job; he stored the parts in the trunk in the bag. The mechanic that picked up the job on the next day omitted not re-install the front felts and brace (the brace needed to be removed to fix the exhaust leak) .
Would not have paid them anything the second time around. They admitted that they screwed up and did crappy work the first time around, customer service would be to complete the repairs and at least discount everything as a customer service gesture to keep your repeat business. Talk to the manager or go up the line of command until your get retribution....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep

I looked it up, that plate is more of a skid plate (reason for be not putting brace and it as the same thing) I would highly doubt that driving without that would cause the front sub frame to bend.

It is also possible that the engine mounts were installed incorrectly since they have a nipple on them that inserts into a hole to help when you tighten the nuts so it doesn't spin and for placement. But not sure if that would make it sit high enough to hit the bar.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Would not have paid them anything the second time around. They admitted that they screwed up and did crappy work the first time around, customer service would be to complete the repairs and at least discount everything as a customer service gesture to keep your repeat business. Talk to the manager or go up the line of command until your get retribution....
In retrospect, I agree. When the SA explained the bill, he said that the second bill was for the engine mounts and they covered the plate and felts internally. At first, I did not think the two issues were related. Further, looking at the bill and comparing part numbers with RealOEM.com, I now realize that they charged me about $100 of bolts and nuts that are not related to the engine mounts but are used for the brace plate .

Now I am really pissed. Going to talk to the service manager first thing tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisenwether View Post
I looked it up, that plate is more of a skid plate (reason for be not putting brace and it as the same thing) I would highly doubt that driving without that would cause the front sub frame to bend.

It is also possible that the engine mounts were installed incorrectly since they have a nipple on them that inserts into a hole to help when you tighten the nuts so it doesn't spin and for placement. But not sure if that would make it sit high enough to hit the bar.
I think the plate is mostly there for rigidity. If you look at the subframe by itself, it is not that sturdy. I am also wondering if some of the bolts (#9) used to secure the brace plate and also used to secure the subframe. If it is the case, it would mean the subframe was not fully fixed to the body...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
In retrospect, I agree. When the SA explained the bill, he said that the second bill was for the engine mounts and they covered the plate and felts internally. At first, I did not think the two issues were related. Further, looking at the bill and comparing part numbers with RealOEM.com, I now realize that they charged me about $100 of bolts and nuts that are not related to the engine mounts but are used for the brace plate .

Now I am really pissed. Going to talk to the service manager first thing tomorrow morning.
Blame everything on those douche bags. Tell him that you are going to file a report with the better business, and then ask for his superiors name if he does not want to discount or help. Tell him that this is not what you expect from BMW and that you are on the forums and will post a huge thread detailing all the trouble that they produced for you. That will get you what you want..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think the plate is mostly there for rigidity. If you look at the subframe by itself, it is not that sturdy. I am also wondering if some of the bolts (#9) used to secure the brace plate and also used to secure the subframe. If it is the case, it would mean the subframe was not fully fixed to the body...
the plate does not secure the subframe to the body. The plate is held onto the subframe by 7 bolts. The subframe has 8 bolts that secure it to the body..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Usually when I hear about a removable brace/cover I think that its not an integral part of the chassis. I'm not familiar with this specific part but usually braces are just used to stiffen the chassis, there shouldn't be a detrimental issue if its not installed.

I'm thinking the dealer probably jacked up your engine mounts somehow and are just making excuses.

You should actually ask for a full refund AND have them fix everything.

The work you described seems pretty simple, to cause this type of problem is inexcusable.
      09-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Blame everything on those douche bags. Tell him that you are going to file a report with the better business, and then ask for his superiors name if he does not want to discount or help. Tell him that this is not what you expect from BMW and that you are on the forums and will post a huge thread detailing all the trouble that they produced for you. That will get you what you want..

Not quite the way I like doing things...

This thread is to get technical insight, not to use as a negotiation tool.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-05-2013 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep

The subframe is actually very stong. You have to think, the subframe holds the engine up. It also helps hold the wheels on with a wishbone and control arm.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisenwether View Post
the plate does not secure the subframe to the body. The plate is held onto the subframe by 7 bolts. The subframe has 8 bolts that secure it to the body..
Great, thanks for that input
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

I am not surprised this happened at Canbec at all!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
Kisenwether
Lieutenant
Rep

To be honest you just have to take it back and tell them that it still has a problem after they preformed a repair. They did the repair so they have to fix the new problem that has come from it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Sue them dumb fucks, or at least tell them your going to.