BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
dazzabb
Enlisted Member
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92, 2010 Nissan GT-R

ABS sensor seems to be linked to everything!

I had the ABS, DSC and FTM warning lights all come on 2 days ago.

I was fearing the worst after reading some posts about $2,500 + pump replacements etc.

Turned out it was just a bad ABS sensor on the left front, changed that and all warning lights were gone.

I've tried searching for the "relationship" between these various lights and ABS but can't find the answer.

Could somebody briefly explain why and how DSC and FTM could be affected by ABS?

Thanks Daz
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
ABS, DSC and FTM all use the same wheel speed sensors. That's why when yours went bad all three systems showed errors.

FTM monitors the difference in velocity between the four wheels that would indicate a change of tire pressure. Lower pressure, means decreased circumference and therefore lower rotational speed. If it differs from the other wheels by a significant amount the FTM system will warn of low tire pressure.

DSC combines differential wheel velocity with other sensor readings (gyroscopes, steering) to detect over/under-steer conditions and generate corrective actions.
2013 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT (06/13 built) :: Melbourne Red & Fox Red/Black/Black 2-tone :: H&R Sports+ Springs :: Ground Control Camber plates :: Essex/AP-Racing Radical Pro 5000R (CP9660) Front BBK :: 275/35/18 Maxxis RC1 on OZ Challenge HLT (track)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
dazzabb
Enlisted Member
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92, 2010 Nissan GT-R

Good info, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0o0fy View Post
ABS, DSC and FTM all use the same wheel speed sensors. That's why when yours went bad all three systems showed errors.

FTM monitors the difference in velocity between the four wheels that would indicate a change of tire pressure. Lower pressure, means decreased circumference and therefore lower rotational speed. If it differs from the other wheels by a significant amount the FTM system will warn of low tire pressure.

DSC combines differential wheel velocity with other sensor readings (gyroscopes, steering) to detect over/under-steer conditions and generate corrective actions.
Not a bad 3rd post. Thx.

I experienced this exact thing this summer at the track but it wasn't because of a bad sensor, it was because I was spinning my rear tires so much that ABS failed! Cliff notes: 97 degrees afternoon track session at Big Willow and I'm running street tires (Michelin PSS). Tires can't handle the heat and actually begin to break down into a gooey substance. It's so bad, that I have no traction accelerating at anything more than half throttle. Because of the sustained tire spin, ABS turns off - but so does everything else! My NAV lights up like a Christmas tree and everything turns off, including DSC.

I track with Euro MDM on, so DSC is on as well. In this instance where ABS failed, I could deal with that but didn't know DSC had also failed so I wasn't being very cautious on my warm down lap and this happened:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=615
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0o0fy View Post

All good, except for one small detail. It is not really the tire's physical circumference that changes, but rather the effective rolling radius that is decreased and this leads to a HIGHER rotational speed .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 09-22-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
All good, except for one small detail. It is not really the tire's physical circumference that changes, but rather the effective rolling radius that is decreased and this leads to a HIGHER rotational speed .
Correct, my mistake. Let's say I should try to math on a Saturday night that late
Appreciate 0