BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
m3freak86
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

Upcoming new owner. Mod advice

Hey guys. Finally getting myself into an e90 m3 after a short hiatus. Sold my e46 m3 in January and got a 2013 WRX that I've enjoyed thus far. Things have been going well and hopping into an e90 m looks better than ever. Got a few questions in regards to mods.

Suspension is a huge thing for me in my cars. I like the ride to be daily driver compliant, yet give it that sporty, aggressive feel. Most of the M's I've been looking at have EDC. While I am more of a simplest, I am unsure of which direction I should go. While I am aware EDC components cost a bit more, what kind of suspension setups are compatible with EDC? I've done the coilover route on almost all my previous cars, but thinking of going with a good spring setup for the e90 since the car will most likely only see street time for now. The KW sleeve over kit, Eibach, and H&R seem to be the most popular in regards to springs. I like the KW sleeve kit since it has the height adjust ability like coilovers. However, are any of these not compatible with EDC? Should I be looking at something else? What setups have a comfortable ride, but tighten things up nicely?

I've been known to be an exhaust maniac on my e46 M (9 separate setups), so I will definitely be visiting this area shortly after I obtain the car. I've been catless and had my fun, but keeping the car daily driver compliant is a biggie for me. I want to keep the cats in, but I do want an aggressive exhaust note. Test pipes seem to be extremely popular with this car since it lets the cat out of the bag, so to speak. However, removing cats in any car makes them sound evil. I will be looking mainly at the ACM muffler mod since it's a very cost worthy modification with great results. However, I've heard some M's with the ACM muffler and the challenge x pipe. Would adding that x pipe remove my cats? I see that they have 3 versions (sport, race, street)? Would removing the secondary cats make me catless? Only reason why I ask is because I thought I read somewhere they have 2 sets of cats. I could be completely wrong though.

That's it for now. Thanks guys!
      01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Not an expert on suspension but my e46 m3 had bilstein PSS-9 coilovers and I'm now running H&R Sport springs with my EDC e92 M3. Ride is firm but compliant enough for daily driving. Also stiff enough for spirited track driving. The drop is aesthetically pleasing and the functionality of the EDC is unhampered. Some coilover setups are non-compliant with EDC whereas the springs are good to go.

As for the exhaust, I'm like you and want the perfect balance of grunt and burble without compromising on drone or bassy boom in the cabin. I started with an AA setup and just recently switched to the MPE slip on. I love it.

I've heard that MPE and Akra are the best non-drone options but, if you go Akra, you need the x-pipe to get volume as it can be more quiet than stock. I've also listened to the OE Exhaust Mod - sounds good but, IMHO, not as exotic as the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
Not an expert on suspension but my e46 m3 had bilstein PSS-9 coilovers and I'm now running H&R Sport springs with my EDC e92 M3. Ride is firm but compliant enough for daily driving. Also stiff enough for spirited track driving. The drop is aesthetically pleasing and the functionality of the EDC is unhampered. Some coilover setups are non-compliant with EDC whereas the springs are good to go.

As for the exhaust, I'm like you and want the perfect balance of grunt and burble without compromising on drone or bassy boom in the cabin. I started with an AA setup and just recently switched to the MPE slip on. I love it.

I've heard that MPE and Akra are the best non-drone options but, if you go Akra, you need the x-pipe to get volume as it can be more quiet than stock. I've also listened to the OE Exhaust Mod - sounds good but, IMHO, not as exotic as the MPE.
Thanks for the feedback. I ran kw v2's on my e46 M and loved them. Trying to stay away from the coilover game for now on the e90. I like the idea of the kw sleeve over kit, but just need to read up on them. Not sure how they ride. Good to know about the springs with EDC. I figured it was ok, but just thought I would ask.

Exactly. I do like my exhausts a bit louder than others. I was looking at the Gintani, Agency Power, and Eisenmann Race exhausts as well. All of which seem to be around the same level of sound. I'll have the check on the MPE exhaust.

Thanks again!
      01-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

suspension should be kept stock for compliance and performance.

unless you go with a quality (IE expensive) coilover setup, the car will ride worse and not handle any better on anything but the smoothest of surfaces.
      01-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

unless you go with a quality (IE expensive) coilover setup, the car will ride worse and not handle any better on anything but the smoothest of surfaces.
I am aware, however there is much to be had from of a more aggressive spring. Lower stance, decreased roll, etc. I've had coils on almost all my cars and know it's a great system. However, springs on this car (for the street) seems to be fairly popular. I am used to a firmer ride, so it's not a huge issue.
      01-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
hpc3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 Base, Build Week 12

I'll add some here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post

I ordered the ZCP specifically to avoid swapping back/forth from different coil over setups like I have in my past cars (probably more swaps than you have on E46 exhausts lol). Anyway I'm almost 1.5yrs in on my '13 and I wouldn't change a thing on the suspension, granted my car is 90/10 street/track driven.

Exhaust-wise, I listened to every setup I could find before ordering and actually had a MPE a couple months before I took delivery. Still love it today, and "I hear" they are even more exotic sounding with the front cat delete =)
      01-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3freak86 View Post
I am aware, however there is much to be had from of a more aggressive spring. Lower stance, decreased roll, etc. I've had coils on almost all my cars and know it's a great system. However, springs on this car (for the street) seems to be fairly popular. I am used to a firmer ride, so it's not a huge issue.
I agree on looks, but the body roll isn't really true, and there isn't any etc in my experience

the car will ride worse, bounce more, handle worse etc. with springs only

to each their own though, and sad to see your wrx go
      01-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I agree on looks, but the body roll isn't really true, and there isn't any etc in my experience

the car will ride worse, bounce more, handle worse etc. with springs only

to each their own though, and sad to see your wrx go
Got ya. I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to read up on it more. Just wanted to get some opinions.

That's the first I heard that! I love the wrx, but looking forward to getting back into an M.
      01-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Quote:
Hey guys. Finally getting myself into an e90 m3 after a short hiatus. Sold my e46 m3 in January and got a 2013 WRX that I've enjoyed thus far. Things have been going well and hopping into an e90 m looks better than ever. Got a few questions in regards to mods.

Suspension is a huge thing for me in my cars. I like the ride to be daily driver compliant, yet give it that sporty, aggressive feel. Most of the M's I've been looking at have EDC. While I am more of a simplest, I am unsure of which direction I should go. While I am aware EDC components cost a bit more, what kind of suspension setups are compatible with EDC? I've done the coilover route on almost all my previous cars, but thinking of going with a good spring setup for the e90 since the car will most likely only see street time for now. The KW sleeve over kit, Eibach, and H&R seem to be the most popular in regards to springs. I like the KW sleeve kit since it has the height adjust ability like coilovers. However, are any of these not compatible with EDC? Should I be looking at something else? What setups have a comfortable ride, but tighten things up nicely?

I've been known to be an exhaust maniac on my e46 M (9 separate setups), so I will definitely be visiting this area shortly after I obtain the car. I've been catless and had my fun, but keeping the car daily driver compliant is a biggie for me. I want to keep the cats in, but I do want an aggressive exhaust note. Test pipes seem to be extremely popular with this car since it lets the cat out of the bag, so to speak. However, removing cats in any car makes them sound evil. I will be looking mainly at the ACM muffler mod since it's a very cost worthy modification with great results. However, I've heard some M's with the ACM muffler and the challenge x pipe. Would adding that x pipe remove my cats? I see that they have 3 versions (sport, race, street)? Would removing the secondary cats make me catless? Only reason why I ask is because I thought I read somewhere they have 2 sets of cats. I could be completely wrong though.

That's it for now. Thanks guys!
The E9x does have 2 sets of cats, both sets of cats are located on the x-pipe of the car. If you just want noise, I believe the MPE is the best sounding cat-back. I have an Akra cat-back and you def don't want that just for sound. I think it sounds great with the cats removed though. I wouldn't buy an X-pipe just for sound, cat-back for sound, cat removal for power. Read about the OEM exhaust mod on here, where you delete the secondary cats, it improves sound. As for Challenge X-pipe: i'd assume race-catless, sport-hi flow cats, street-cats.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Got ya. I appreciate the feedback. I'll have to read up on it more. Just wanted to get some opinions.

That's the first I heard that! I love the wrx, but looking forward to getting back into an M.
I agree with KennyPowers (Mark). Perhaps you can check out a factory ZCP car which is 10mm lower and comes with EDC. It is a fantastic suspension set up. Very soft and compliant as a daily driver but firms up with a push of a button and is terrific at the track. I think they only made e90's with ZCP in 2011.

the stock ZCP suspension works very for me on the track and I'm pushing 580 wheel HP and also run a 380/365 Big Brake kit as well. There is some body roll but it's not a bad thing. It give you great feedback and even a novice driver like me knows exactly where the limit is.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Matt@activeautowerke
Rep
Drives: bmw 2002 tii

If you're driving the car daily my first option would be Jrz, second would be Kw v3's they're a little bit more in a reasonable price range.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

front sway bar over lowering springs imo
      01-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:

I agree with this. If you are just after a drop and a bit of improvement, ZCP or Dinan is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post
The E9x does have 2 sets of cats, both sets of cats are located on the x-pipe of the car. If you just want noise, I believe the MPE is the best sounding cat-back. I have an Akra cat-back and you def don't want that just for sound. I think it sounds great with the cats removed though. I wouldn't buy an X-pipe just for sound, cat-back for sound, cat removal for power. Read about the OEM exhaust mod on here, where you delete the secondary cats, it improves sound. As for Challenge X-pipe: i'd assume race-catless, sport-hi flow cats, street-cats.
MPE sounds great, but still has hideous, mega-mufflers that look like a pair of goiters.it is also silly expensive and you can't do anything to the middle section (otherwise it sounds like a raspy POS Civic with a perforated exhaust). The same MPE sound can be had from doing the mod exhaust (which also locks you out of messing with the middle section but saves you 2-3 grand).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #15
tommy94gt
Captain
Rep
Drives: SMB F80

Hey man, I remember you from m3forum.
Few quick notes for ya since I had 2 e46m3s as well, I can give you a little help with comparable parts.
Kw v2 for e46 M3 is KW V3 for e9x. I was actually among the few folks that found my e46 KWV2s way too bouncy to the point where I never wanted to go back to coil overs again. But I am sure as hell happy I ended up with KWV3s for the e92. At its lowest setting the car still rides better than stock and handles like its on rails. If its not in the budget atm just throw in a set of used lowering springs to hold you over until you can get KWV3s - you won't regret it.
I went through eisenman sport, eisenman race plus a few other exhausts along with the popular rasp pipe in the e46. The e9x sounds so much better with the v8, but this is where it gets tricky. While the inline 6 e46 Ms sounded weak with sport mufflers most Race mufflers combined with an x-pipe on the e9x are too loud or drone too much.
Everyone here will tell you to go MPE or Akra evo. While they both sound great, it is not necessary to spend big cash from the beginning. I love running an x-pipe for performance and combined with pretty much any type of a sport muffler the combo usually comes out good.
Challenge street = your oem primary cats w/resonators, Challenge sport = high flow cats w/ resonators, challenge race is catless with resonators, and challenge race + is catless without resonators.
Challenge sport, mxp, UUC corsa, ae are just a few of my favorite mufflers. I've been through around 10 rear sections and 3 x-pipes give or take so far and I still enjoy switching up my combo.
Hope you will enjoy this platform as much as I do. Have fun with it!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #16
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Thanks for much for the info everyone. Definitely informative. I'll have to see how compliant the stock suspension is and if I can stand the wheel gap. I don't like to "slam" my cars, but I do like them to have an aggressive look, while keeping things practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy94gt View Post
Hey man, I remember you from m3forum.
Few quick notes for ya since I had 2 e46m3s as well, I can give you a little help with comparable parts.
Kw v2 for e46 M3 is KW V3 for e9x. I was actually among the few folks that found my e46 KWV2s way too bouncy to the point where I never wanted to go back to coil overs again. But I am sure as hell happy I ended up with KWV3s for the e92. At its lowest setting the car still rides better than stock and handles like its on rails. If its not in the budget atm just throw in a set of used lowering springs to hold you over until you can get KWV3s - you won't regret it.
I went through eisenman sport, eisenman race plus a few other exhausts along with the popular rasp pipe in the e46. The e9x sounds so much better with the v8, but this is where it gets tricky. While the inline 6 e46 Ms sounded weak with sport mufflers most Race mufflers combined with an x-pipe on the e9x are too loud or drone too much.
Everyone here will tell you to go MPE or Akra evo. While they both sound great, it is not necessary to spend big cash from the beginning. I love running an x-pipe for performance and combined with pretty much any type of a sport muffler the combo usually comes out good.
Challenge street = your oem primary cats w/resonators, Challenge sport = high flow cats w/ resonators, challenge race is catless with resonators, and challenge race + is catless without resonators.
Challenge sport, mxp, UUC corsa, ae are just a few of my favorite mufflers. I've been through around 10 rear sections and 3 x-pipes give or take so far and I still enjoy switching up my combo.
Hope you will enjoy this platform as much as I do. Have fun with it!
Hey bud, yep it's me! I post more over on m3forum, so that is where I am mostly known, so to speak. Definitely some great info here. I know the V8 definitely has a much louder sound and it can get too loud really quick if you aren't careful. I just want something with a great distinctive v8 tone that crackles and pops, but doesn't drone like crazy or you have to scream in the cabin to have a conversation. My current WRX has so much road noise, it's rather irritating when you are trying to talk to people in the car. I have a mild exhaust on it too, so the combination is not really fun. I also want to keep the exhaust mod budget under 1700. I can't fathom spending 2k plus on just a catback or axleback. I'm used to the M price of mods, but the akrapovic and the like... insane!

In regards to coils, I keep eyeing up the kw v3's. I have a feeling I'll go for them as well since I was pretty happy with the v2's on the e46. My only concern is that the few M's I am looking at currently all have EDC and would be an issue going to coilovers. I'll have to see what options I have when I do acquire a car.

I appreciate all the feedback. Very helpful!
      01-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #17
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Dinan is a great sounding exhaust that is relatively mild and has no drone, and sounds great with an X-pipe (especially with a quad resonated one, but I just couldn'thandle the smell). It frequently goes for $1500 or so used.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #18
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i think you are crazy to buy springs or coils for performance. if you buy them for to get a rougher ride (which some like) and lower stance then i guess it different.

i know for me my ZCP/ EDC suspension is PERFECT. can be rough and can be smooth. in the highest EDC setting the car gets stiff and firm. plus with ZCP you get a slightly lower ride.

for me i always thought the M3 suspension out performed the power of the car. I would go mods power first on M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Strongly reccmmend Dinan front control arm monoballs and rear racing toe link. Tremendous increase in precision.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #20
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I remember your E46 M3 build thread at m3forum
thought you went WRX recently, i guess you're coming back to M!
E90 LCI would be perfect, gluck hope you find a well maintained M3!
      01-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

regarding springs, another option and what I would recommend are Swift springs as they are linear springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #22
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Strongly reccmmend Dinan front control arm monoballs and rear racing toe link. Tremendous increase in precision.
Really? There is quite a bit of feedback that suggests their toe links do nothing (their rationale for why the stock is inadequate does not make sense), except making adjustments easier. If you had them installed simultaneously, you're most likely just feeling the monoballs. Or, you know, placebo, since you'll only likely feel the difference during track use.
Appreciate 0