Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

F80/82 manual transmission question

I know about the throttle blip downshift feature. Is there any word on if the transmission locks out lower gear to prevent accidental money shift?
      01-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
ProbyOne
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL / E93 M3 / 996

I'm curious about this as well.

Something else that I wonder is how well it works with clutch-less shifting. If the rpms are held slightly too high (too low is ok) then you will not be able to "place" into gear as the engine rpms drop.
      01-14-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
I know about the throttle blip downshift feature. Is there any word on if the transmission locks out lower gear to prevent accidental money shift?
I certainly doubt it. It would require significant additional mechanical complexity and would add weight to the transmission. The auto rev match only requires electronics and a few sensors; no new mechanicals.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I don't think so - the trans as far as we know is identical to the 1M.

In 12 years of driving manuals, including high revvers with very tight gearbox patterns, I've never mis-shifted into a gear that places me above redline. It's a pretty uncommon occurrence to the point that it requires usually a real lack of skill.

Not saying this to be dismissive, just that it's not really a necessary feature either.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

My point was that personally I see no value in it, but even beyond that within the general populace it's a very rare occurrence that typically happens among the most enthusiastic and youngest/least practiced of populations. It adds a trans complexity and cost to offer something that is almost never utilized.

Edit: looks like the previous post was outright removed as a personal attack. I removed my specific response to it.

Last edited by JoeFromPA; 01-14-2014 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I certainly doubt it. It would require significant additional mechanical complexity and would add weight to the transmission. The auto rev match only requires electronics and a few sensors; no new mechanicals.
This.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I don't think so - the trans as far as we know is identical to the 1M.

In 12 years of driving manuals, including high revvers with very tight gearbox patterns, I've never mis-shifted into a gear that places me above redline. It's a pretty uncommon occurrence to the point that it requires usually a real lack of skill.

Not saying this to be dismissive, just that it's not really a necessary feature either.
You can also greatly minimize mis-shifting by not skipping gears. Row 6-5-4 vs. 6-4 or 5-4-3 vs. 5-3. Pretty hard to mis-shift just by going down one gear.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

don't need debate on your excellent shifting skills. this is in reference to a car being campaigned 24 hrs with 4 very experienced professionals. mistakes can happen especially when you are tired and fighting traffic with 150 other tired drivers in 400+ hp cars fighting for same piece of tarmac. a shift lockout would be beneficial. as owner of the car i want to to weigh whats best transmission to go with. might be dct although i still don't prefer it for personal reasons.