BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

02-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
RCKehrer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 Frozen Silver

Anyway to get the Oil Temp visible?

As critical as it is to warm these cars up with the rod bearing issues, I was wondering is there is a way via coding or any other methods to get oil temp?

I would think it takes longer for the oil to warm up than the coolant, and i was been unusually cold here in TX and it seems like it takes a solid 10 min to get the temps up.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

There's an oil temp gauge on the dash. Keep in mind it's not super accurate and more of something to look at
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

As hard as it is to believe, there isn't a sensor for oil temp. Based on what I read on this forum, the oil temp displayed is just a calculation based on water temp and the intensity of the current needed to heat up the oil level sensor. BMW fail
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

My experience showed that oil temperatures respond faster than coolant temperatures probably because the oil is right where the action is while the coolant is a little more distal. I added an oil temp gauge to one of my cars and it showed temp changes while going up a slight incline. The coolant temp gauge didn't move.

Also, Petros, are you sure about no oil temp sensor? If true that sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba louey View Post
My experience showed that oil temperatures respond faster than coolant temperatures probably because the oil is right where the action is while the coolant is a little more distal. I added an oil temp gauge to one of my cars and it showed temp changes while going up a slight incline. The coolant temp gauge didn't move.

Also, Petros, are you sure about no oil temp sensor? If true that sucks.
Yeah I think that's the case. That seems to be the consensus based on what I read here. Also the diagrams on realoem seem to validate that. I couldn't find any oil temp sensor anywhere. The only oil sensor is the oil level and quality sensor in the oil pan. There is another sensor labelled #16 in this picture that says water/oil temp sensor, but only coolant passes through that duct. It really does seem that oil temp is just extrapolated from coolant temp and not measured directly. Oh well. What can you expect from a car that doesn't even have an oil dipstick

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Apparently the oil level on the mfd will only start reading once the oil is up to full operating temperature.

When it says ok next to the level then it's at full operating temperature.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
tinman831
Captain
Rep

Are you sure the oil level and temp sensors aren't the same? On the e46 the oil level sensor functioned as a temp sensor as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Ging
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

You are correct same on the s65 I have seen them fail and show falsely high temps and cause fail safe mode and cooling fan going into full spool. http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-00786803.../dp/B000VUANRE

For the OP you can get a app for most phones and get live data or the BMW performance wheels show coolant and oil temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
Are you sure the oil level and temp sensors aren't the same? On the e46 the oil level sensor functioned as a temp sensor as well.

Last edited by Ging; 02-15-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Why don't you just go by the rpm gauge? Don't go above 4k until redline is at 8400. I am not sure how a temp gauge will be any different.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Yeah I think that's the case. That seems to be the consensus based on what I read here. Also the diagrams on realoem seem to validate that. I couldn't find any oil temp sensor anywhere. The only oil sensor is the oil level and quality sensor in the oil pan. There is another sensor labelled #16 in this picture that says water/oil temp sensor, but only coolant passes through that duct. It really does seem that oil temp is just extrapolated from coolant temp and not measured directly. Oh well. What can you expect from a car that doesn't even have an oil dipstick

That made me laugh. Everybody seems to be going for proxy measures of some sort and never measure the real thing anymore. Economics I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
As hard as it is to believe, there isn't a sensor for oil temp. Based on what I read on this forum, the oil temp displayed is just a calculation based on water temp and the intensity of the current needed to heat up the oil level sensor. BMW fail
From the technical manual:
The temperature sensor is seated on the housing of the oil condition sensor. The housing of the oil condition sensor contains an electronic evaluation unit. The electronic evaluation unit has self-diagnosis. A fault in the oil condition sensor is entered in the fault memory of the engine management system.
The oil condition sensor sends its measured values to the engine management system:
! Engine oil temperature
! Oil level
! Engine oil quality
The electrical material properties of the engine oil change as the engine oil wears and ages. The changed electrical properties of the engine oil (dielectrics) cause the capacity of the capacitor to change.
The electronic evaluation unit converts the measured capacity into a digital signal. The digital sensor signal is sent to the engine management system. The engine management system uses the signal for internal calculations
(e.g. condensate in the engine oil).

Note: If you would like to read more about the oil sensor see attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf oil-sensors[1].pdf (81.1 KB, 273 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
Ging
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
The temperature sensor is seated on the housing of the oil condition sensor. The housing of the oil condition sensor contains an electronic evaluation unit. The electronic evaluation unit has self-diagnosis. A fault in the oil condition sensor is entered in the fault memory of the engine management system.
The oil condition sensor sends its measured values to the engine management system:
! Engine oil temperature
! Oil level
! Engine oil quality
The electrical material properties of the engine oil change as the engine oil wears and ages. The changed electrical properties of the engine oil (dielectrics) cause the capacity of the capacitor to change.
The electronic evaluation unit converts the measured capacity into a digital signal. The digital sensor signal is sent to the engine management system. The engine management system uses the signal for internal calculations

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
baba louey
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
! Engine oil temperature
! Oil level
! Engine oil quality

Well that pretty well answers my question. Thanks kenwelch. Looks like there is a separate temp sensor. The capacitance measurement seems to be a proxy for oil level, oil condition, and condensate contamination. Pretty neat stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
! Engine oil temperature
! Oil level
! Engine oil quality

Interesting read. Thanks for the article. But does this article apply to the E9x m3? The pictures of the oil pan and dashboard gauge seem more like an E46 M3. Do both generations use the same sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Ging
Private First Class
Rep

YES maybe not same part number but same guts. a lot of bmw motors use this type of sensor even if the dashboard doesn't show a reading. In live data thorough OBD-II you can most of the time view oil temp

Quote:
Interesting read. Thanks for the article. But does this article apply to the E9x m3? The pictures of the oil pan and dashboard gauge seem more like an E46 M3. Do both generations use the same sensor?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
Petros
Banned
Rep

So do we have confirmation that the sensor in fact does measure oil temp? Then why does realoem list the coolant temp sensor as a sensor for both water and oil temp?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
So do we have confirmation that the sensor in fact does measure oil temp? Then why does realoem list the coolant temp sensor as a sensor for both water and oil temp?
Because the Parts guy didn't pay attention in class?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
It may be because they are identical sensors.

A fluid sensor is a very simple device. It does not care if the fluid is coolant or oil. It will function the same. If the fluid temperature range is similar, it would be reasonable to use the same sensor from an economics perspective.
      02-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Wait tell your car can read the oil then your good....contrary to popular belief/sky is falling down bearing thread - these cars are not made out of marshmallows.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #20
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

BMW's method of doing it is not very different from other manufacturers. Tons of cars these days have "smart" oil life meters that can tell if the oil is getting contaminated. They're often calibrated to the service fill, meaning if you do not use TWS it can be off by a bit.
      02-19-2014, 08:51 PM   #21
RCKehrer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 Frozen Silver

OK....So all I am trying to do is visually see the oil temp in stock form...is that possible
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #22
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

My Chrysler 300 rental car has a numerical water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, TRANS temp, AND tire pressure sensors... Thanks BMW....
Appreciate 0