BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

Bluetooth issues

I often use the Bluetooth connection to listen to music and podcasts on my iphone through the BMW audio system. I am having a recurrent issue when I select Bluetooth on the iDrive and then start a song or podcast and see it playing on the iphone, yet I hear no audio in the car. I have found out that I can switch to the radio on the car and then switch it back to the Bluetooth audio on the car again and I can hear the audio via Bluetooth.

It has happened when using multiple apps (music, podcast app, etc)

Anyone else noticed this? I have used this phone in other cars with Bluetooth with no problem. I think it's a glitch in iDrive. I already updated through bmw.com/update and it's still glitchy.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

First make sure your iPhone is connected correctly.
Hit the Telephone button
Then Hit the Options button.
Scroll to your iPhone and highlight it.
Then hit the Options button again.
You should see a sub menu that says Configure this device,
Enter this menu
You should see 3 boxes to check.
Telephone 1
Telephone 2
Audio

Make sure Telephone 1 and Audio is CHECKED.
Back out of the menus

Now hit the Media button
Go to your iPhone and start playing a BT streaming app
It should work, you may need to back out of the media app until you are at the screen that displays the track info.

Now when you get in your car if you just hit the Media button provided you didn't pause the music from the phone the last time you used it, it should auto start.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbragg View Post
I often use the Bluetooth connection to listen to music and podcasts on my iphone through the BMW audio system. I am having a recurrent issue when I select Bluetooth on the iDrive and then start a song or podcast and see it playing on the iphone, yet I hear no audio in the car. I have found out that I can switch to the radio on the car and then switch it back to the Bluetooth audio on the car again and I can hear the audio via Bluetooth.

It has happened when using multiple apps (music, podcast app, etc)

Anyone else noticed this? I have used this phone in other cars with Bluetooth with no problem. I think it's a glitch in iDrive. I already updated through bmw.com/update and it's still glitchy.

Any ideas?

Yes. Another idrive/iPhone quirk.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Yeah - I'm experiencing flakiness here and there. The several common annoyances for my April build:

Bluetooth
1.) bluetooth is not available even though everything was working fine with the same phone. Requires lots of "handle jiggling" to get iDrive to talk to my iPhone.

2.) iDrive crashes - I've had 3 in the first 200 miles of ownership. The first was actually good b/c it resolved another issue of missing BMW Apps under the Connected Drive menue.

USB
1.) once connected, launching/playing Pandora or iTunes Radio is overruled and the music is played from my iPhone music library. It starts to play for a few seconds, then switches to my library. After several attempts, it may let me play the audio source of my choice.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Yeah - I'm experiencing flakiness here and there. The several common annoyances for my April build:

Bluetooth
1.) bluetooth is not available even though everything was working fine with the same phone. Requires lots of "handle jiggling" to get iDrive to talk to my iPhone.

2.) iDrive crashes - I've had 3 in the first 200 miles of ownership. The first was actually good b/c it resolved another issue of missing BMW Apps under the Connected Drive menue.

USB
1.) once connected, launching/playing Pandora or iTunes Radio is overruled and the music is played from my iPhone music library. It starts to play for a few seconds, then switches to my library. After several attempts, it may let me play the audio source of my choice.
I have not too many talking issues, although yesterday on a call the BT totally crashed.
As for the USB cable, I have the same experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Dazza72
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 35d

Does Bluetooth connectivity require the BMW Apps/ Convenience Telephony package? If I don't get the package, is USB the only option for connecting my iPhone ? Just placed my order today but didn't order the extended telephony option ($850 option in Canada) and wondering if perhaps that was a mistake?

Last edited by Dazza72; 04-22-2014 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:38 PM   #7
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

whenever i tried to connect my phone it didn't connect so i tried to turn off the bluetooth and turn it back on but once i tried turning it back on, it doesn't wanna turn back on, i tried restarting the car but that didn't work too, advice please? *CHECK IMAGE*
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 01:49 AM   #8
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Lock the car and leave it to rest for 15 mins.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #9
bmwx5nyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
yea it worked, appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #10
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

I wish the album art on both spotify and pandora didn't get frozen on the first song I play. Super annoying! Iphone 11 btw.
Appreciate 0