BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
AlpineMSport28i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i MSport

Adaptive Headlight Malfunction

So my driver side turn indicator melted the housing in of my headlight assembly and since BMW would not cover it under my extended warranty or CPO warranty and wanted 1800.00 to replace it I went ahead and sourced a used assembly with Xenon's and all that jazz already installed for 550.00. After installing the new headlight assembly I noticed that the driver side is not self adjusting on start up and the adaptive headlight on the drivers side is not working (its stuck looking far left). Now I could just pull it out again and replace the unit with the one I pulled out...but I work in Mexico and don't have time during the week and really enjoy the one day I have at home (Saturday) relaxing back in the states. Now the light error message comes up periodically but it is not always on. My question is can this be fixed with programming alone? Is it possible I just need to manually move the motor for the light back to center and it will work fine(is that possible)? Or should I just pull the bumper off again and replace the whole unit with the one I know is good from my old assembly. Thanks for any suggestions or info.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineMSport28i View Post
So my driver side turn indicator melted the housing in of my headlight assembly and since BMW would not cover it under my extended warranty or CPO warranty and wanted 1800.00 to replace it I went ahead and sourced a used assembly with Xenon's and all that jazz already installed for 550.00. After installing the new headlight assembly I noticed that the driver side is not self adjusting on start up and the adaptive headlight on the drivers side is not working (its stuck looking far left). Now I could just pull it out again and replace the unit with the one I pulled out...but I work in Mexico and don't have time during the week and really enjoy the one day I have at home (Saturday) relaxing back in the states. Now the light error message comes up periodically but it is not always on. My question is can this be fixed with programming alone? Is it possible I just need to manually move the motor for the light back to center and it will work fine(is that possible)? Or should I just pull the bumper off again and replace the whole unit with the one I know is good from my old assembly. Thanks for any suggestions or info.
driver modules need to be Away from AHL motors and no issues, or this may happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

I have had one such adaptive headlight malfunction warning light pop up on my 2011 135i. At the time of the event, I was driving the car hard at dusk (read: lapping). The malfunction light went away after I turned the engine off/on.

Car is still under warranty.

My dealership could not locate any DIAG errors or reproduce the issue. PRobably due to the fact that my Cobb PTF tune erases and clears the DTC's after any map changes or complete Cobb AP3 software removal from DME.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
I have had one such adaptive headlight malfunction warning light pop up on my 2011 135i. At the time of the event, I was driving the car hard at dusk (read: lapping). The malfunction light went away after I turned the engine off/on.

Car is still under warranty.

My dealership could not locate any DIAG errors or reproduce the issue. PRobably due to the fact that my Cobb PTF tune erases and clears the DTC's after any map changes or complete Cobb AP3 software removal from DME.
our DTECS dont have this AHL malfunction issue, the wires are extra long and can be placed extremely far from the AHL motor, so there will be no issues. it also fits Perfectly fine inside the dust cover, not outside.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
JimUlrich135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135is

Dealer needs to perform initialization function.
Appreciate 0