BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2014, 04:20 AM   #1
sunnytks
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Normal suspension vs M sport adaptive suspension

Dear all, in BMW Hong Kong, we only have x5 30d m sport version or x5 30d basic version to order. I have asked the dealer if we order the basic version we can't update the suspension to M Sport Adaptive suspension.
I haven't test the basic version but I have tested the m sport version.
May I know does the ride quality on the basic version very different from the M Sport? if the basic version suspension very soft? please advise
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
I'm not sure about the diesel engines to be honest but in general the suspension of the car is adjustable to suit your comfort level.
The ride is pretty comfortable on comfort and the seats are generally comfortable.
I don't think the M sport package will vary much as it is only a kit and has no impact whatsoever on the ride or engine quality..at least for the petrol engines..not quite sure about the diesel
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
sunnytks
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamad Nasser
I'm not sure about the diesel engines to be honest but in general the suspension of the car is adjustable to suit your comfort level.
The ride is pretty comfortable on comfort and the seats are generally comfortable.
I don't think the M sport package will vary much as it is only a kit and has no impact whatsoever on the ride or engine quality..at least for the petrol engines..not quite sure about the diesel
Thanks, does the non m-sport version can adjust the suspension? I thought only M-sport can adjust the stiffness of the suspension....
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnytks View Post
Thanks, does the non m-sport version can adjust the suspension? I thought only M-sport can adjust the stiffness of the suspension....
Non M-Sport suspension does change; it might be more noticeable with the M-Sport, but I couldn't personally tell you since I haven't driven the M-Sport models. In Eco-Pro and Comfort, the ride is quite soft. In Eco-Pro with Auto Start Stop turned off (button next to Start Engine), the suspension does seem a bit tighter (at least you can tell from the steering feel feeling a bit tighter). When you go into Sport mode, the exhaust becomes louder, the suspension becomes stiffer (more road feel/response), and the steering tightens up the most out of all three modes. Like I said, it may be more apparent in the M-Sport, but the changes are definitely there in the non M-Sport versions as well.
      06-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
ronovan_mcnabb
Registered
Rep
Drives: e46 X5 4.4

Just picked up our 35d with M-sport w/adaptive M suspension last week. We commute on windy roads along the CA coastside on a daily basis, and we can definitely tell the difference between comfort mode vs sport mode.

Just for context we still have our 2003 X5 4.4 with sport package, and we've also leased both a 2003 E46 M3 convertible and a 2008 E93 M3 convertible.

The new X5 in Comfort mode is by far the most comfortable of the cars listed above, but for us and what we are used to driving it is a bit soft and floaty. My wife was actually disappointed with the way it drove and started to have some buyers remorse. But then I turned on Sport mode and she was very happy with it. Nice and tight and very flat in the turns, but it wasn't brutally stiff where you could feel every bump in the road like our 2003 X5.

The comparison is very similar to what it was like going from the E46 M3 to the E93 M3. WAY more comfortable and refined, yet still very sporty. Just an overall better vehicle.

I'm very happy we ended up going with the Adaptive M suspension. If we didnt' get it I think we'd be regretting our purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

In all honesty, think of Comfort Mode as Bruce Banner. When you press Sport Mode, the car literally becomes the Hulk. The difference is that much in terms of handling/road feel/power/exhaust sound, especially after the 1200 mile break in; the X5 literally is hungry for speed the way it revs in Sport Mode. I drove on the highway the other day and when I put Sport Mode on, I was literally flying. I didn't even notice I was going fast until I looked left at all the cars looking like they were standing still. Obviously, I slowed down, but the G force and vibration you usually feel at such high speeds was almost non-existent. As others have mentioned, this is due to it not being too stiff as previous X5 models and having really good interior cabin noise isolation.
      06-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think only those packages that offer rear air suspensions (3rd row, etc) or the adaptive M adjust with the X5's 'modes'.

Steel springs and passive dampness don't care what button you push
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
I think only those packages that offer rear air suspensions (3rd row, etc) or the adaptive M adjust with the X5's 'modes'.

Not true. As much as I would like to admit you're correct because those features just makes sense for that, real world driving experience proves that something definitely changes in the suspension when the modes change for non M-sport vehicles. Like I said earlier, the difference might be felt much more in M-sport models and adaptive sport suspension models, but I can't comment on that since I have not driven them.
      06-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3

This is correct.
Such is my car, I didn't know about the whole M Sport package and active suspension is whole different option. As I picked up my car on the lot instead of custom ordering, I didn't know about it until I realize that there are no difference on the ride quality between comfort and sport modes.
But hey, there is a reason for me to do a coilover.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
In all honesty, think of Comfort Mode as Bruce Banner. When you press Sport Mode, the car literally becomes the Hulk. The difference is that much in terms of handling/road feel/power/exhaust sound, especially after the 1200 mile break in; the X5 literally is hungry for speed the way it revs in Sport Mode. I drove on the highway the other day and when I put Sport Mode on, I was literally flying. I didn't even notice I was going fast until I looked left at all the cars looking like they were standing still. Obviously, I slowed down, but the G force and vibration you usually feel at such high speeds was almost non-existent. As others have mentioned, this is due to it not being too stiff as previous X5 models and having really good interior cabin noise isolation.
Love the comparison of BB Vs Hulk....it's like putting the afterburners on when you hit the Sport switch....should be painted in high visibility red
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2014, 02:41 AM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
This is correct.
Such is my car, I didn't know about the whole M Sport package and active suspension is whole different option. As I picked up my car on the lot instead of custom ordering, I didn't know about it until I realize that there are no difference on the ride quality between comfort and sport modes.
But hey, there is a reason for me to do a coilover.
Hm, that's really strange. Either my X5 is unique or someone put in a suspension option and forgot to list it on my print out or it's unique to the 5.0i . I've driven all kinds of SUVs (MDX, FX35, ML350 4matic, QX56, LX470, Escalade, Cayenne, Touareg, Q7, X3, etc) and stiff suspension cars (Lexus ISF, CTS V, M-Sport 135i) - I think/hope I can say I do have a good understanding of suspension feel, especially due to my previous car being a 2004 FX35. Things like this don't really slip my perception; I drive on a lot of curvy/uneven roads and hills in Maryland so the road feel is difficult to ignore for me. The 22's also make it a little more obvious I guess. However, I could just be a single case of where my car feels stiffer in sport mode. My family has also noted the stiffer ride as passengers when the car is in Sport mode as opposed to Comfort mode. If I am wrong, I hope someone can explain why the car feels so different aside from the obvious answer of the steering tightening up (I know this is related to the chassis). Also, back to my comment about the highway. I weave really well, and when you weave hard at higher speeds, you feel body roll. The body roll is substantially reduced in Sport Mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Love the comparison of BB Vs Hulk....it's like putting the afterburners on when you hit the Sport switch....should be painted in high visibility red
LOL, thank you for the amusing reply, Baunton .
      06-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Yep - I have an M-Sport model without adaptive suspension. I had my car up on a lift and you can clearly see the HUGE anti-sway bars (excellent body roll control), simple coil springs, and separate, simple shocks.

Now, when I select SPORT, it changes the tune of the motor and shift points of the tranny, but nothing to the suspension.

I own an SL550 with their version of the adaptive suspension (call Active Body Control) and although its great, it is scary expensive when you need work done (outside of warranty). Warranty doesn't cover shocks, and each shock on the SL550 is $1900 - each.

Anyway, the adaptive suspension for me, just wasn't worth the cost and total cost of ownership when you compare them side by side in a driving test. The non-adaptive suspension is that good. And soon, we will have options for lowering and improved handling on the 2014 models, without the complexity and cost.
      06-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #13
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
Yep - I have an M-Sport model without adaptive suspension. I had my car up on a lift and you can clearly see the HUGE anti-sway bars (excellent body roll control), simple coil springs, and separate, simple shocks.

Now, when I select SPORT, it changes the tune of the motor and shift points of the tranny, but nothing to the suspension.

I own an SL550 with their version of the adaptive suspension (call Active Body Control) and although its great, it is scary expensive when you need work done (outside of warranty). Warranty doesn't cover shocks, and each shock on the SL550 is $1900 - each.

Anyway, the adaptive suspension for me, just wasn't worth the cost and total cost of ownership when you compare them side by side in a driving test. The non-adaptive suspension is that good. And soon, we will have options for lowering and improved handling on the 2014 models, without the complexity and cost.
So, in the US (and CA?) even though you order an M Sport you have to pay extra for 2VF Adaptive M suspension? When this comes standard for those in UK?
Good old BMW eh

The Adaptive Suspension makes a huge difference to the way in which the car handles, especially on the rough pot holed roads in my part of the country. Couldn't go back to a car with Steel Springs...no way.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Hm, that's really strange. Either my X5 is unique or someone put in a suspension option and forgot to list it on my print out or it's unique to the 5.0i . I've driven all kinds of SUVs (MDX, FX35, ML350 4matic, QX56, LX470, Escalade, Cayenne, Touareg, Q7, X3, etc) and stiff suspension cars (Lexus ISF, CTS V, M-Sport 135i) - I think/hope I can say I do have a good understanding of suspension feel, especially due to my previous car being a 2004 FX35. Things like this don't really slip my perception; I drive on a lot of curvy/uneven roads and hills in Maryland so the road feel is difficult to ignore for me. The 22's also make it a little more obvious I guess. However, I could just be a single case of where my car feels stiffer in sport mode. My family has also noted the stiffer ride as passengers when the car is in Sport mode as opposed to Comfort mode. If I am wrong, I hope someone can explain why the car feels so different aside from the obvious answer of the steering tightening up (I know this is related to the chassis). Also, back to my comment about the highway. I weave really well, and when you weave hard at higher speeds, you feel body roll. The body roll is substantially reduced in Sport Mode.

LOL, thank you for the amusing reply, Baunton .
Placebo... and steering weight. But that really doesn't matter- if you're happy with it, enjoy it.

Base suspension is static.

You need an option that adds VDC to see changes based on 'modes'.

For vehicles with
Adaptive M suspension
or
Adaptive suspension package 'Comfort'
or
3rd seat row
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

@riM3, thank you for the clarification. Must be one hell of a placebo, lol .
      06-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #16
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

Hope my placebo works as well...find out in three weeks
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

I have an M Sport with the standard suspension. When I open the doors or lock/unlock the vehicle I can hear air being released. I thought it was from the suspension -- is this not the case?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
worsy
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 due Sept 1st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
So, in the US (and CA?) even though you order an M Sport you have to pay extra for 2VF Adaptive M suspension? When this comes standard for those in UK?
Good old BMW eh

The Adaptive Suspension makes a huge difference to the way in which the car handles, especially on the rough pot holed roads in my part of the country. Couldn't go back to a car with Steel Springs...no way.
The UK brochure states:

SE Trim
Adaptive Comfort Suspension is a cost option 2VM (£1495)
Adaptive Dymanic Suspension is a cost option 2VP (£2495 not with 3rd Row)

M Sport
Adaptive M Suspension is standard 2VF (not for 25d)
Adaptive Dymanic Suspension is a cost option 2VP (£2495 not with 3rd Row)

Brochure says:

The Adaptive Suspension Comfort package delivers maximum driving comfort while retaining hallmark BMW driving dynamics. It lets you individually adjust the suspension and damping response at any time. The rear axle air suspension guarantees a consistently high level of driving comfort regardless of the number of passengers or load you are carrying.

The Adaptive Suspension Dynamic package lets you optimise the dynamic potential of your car further. Dynamic Performance Control and Dynamic Drive guarantee exceptionally sporty driving dynamics, reflected in a very neutral steering response and minimum side tilt when taking corners. All while retaining a high level of drive comfort.

Increased driving dynamics: the Adaptive M Suspension gets maximum potential out of your car. Features include Dynamic Damper Control and air suspension at the rear axle, with a set-up designed for a particularly sporty driving response. The Adaptive M Suspension is only available as part of the M Sport model.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
I have an M Sport with the standard suspension. When I open the doors or lock/unlock the vehicle I can hear air being released. I thought it was from the suspension -- is this not the case?
I have this occurring too every time...it's kind of cool , but I have no clue what it is due to after this lengthy discussion on suspension.
      06-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #20
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

When I had my 2010 535i with sports package and SAT ( sports auto trans ) it came with a sport button that you pressed and then shift the shifter to the left and the steering would get tighter... This feature lead many owners to believe the suspension became tighter as well. Which was not the case, but I even thought the suspension tightened up.

As rIM3 says I think it was a placebo affect.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
When I had my 2010 535i with sports package and SAT ( sports auto trans ) it came with a sport button that you pressed and then shift the shifter to the left and the steering would get tighter... This feature lead many owners to believe the suspension became tighter as well. Which was not the case, but I even thought the suspension tightened up.

As rIM3 says I think it was a placebo affect.
It really must be a strong placebo effect as I mentioned earlier, lol. I don't doubt riM3 at all. However, I would not assume that because the steering got tighter, that the suspension was based on that. Remember, I've driven cars with different suspensions/steering. The '14 MDX we have has the same 3 modes and Sport is the tightest for steering, but there is no noticeable difference in suspension stiffness whatsoever. Also, worsy quoted this:

"The Adaptive Suspension Dynamic package lets you optimise the dynamic potential of your car further. Dynamic Performance Control and Dynamic Drive guarantee exceptionally sporty driving dynamics, reflected in a very neutral steering response and minimum side tilt when taking corners. All while retaining a high level of drive comfort."

This is exactly how the car actually feels in sport mode. The way I drive, I know how body roll feels and what sharp cornering does. I guess you would have to be in the car with me to know what kind of driver I am and what I mean. Regardless, I don't doubt the "static" suspension, but it's definitely a nice placebo . The way the car weaves and moves in sport mode is outstanding despite not being as stiff as my FX35.
      06-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #22
Jffeijao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I got M sport adaptative suspension on mine.
It makes a big diference on how car feels. I have no mods and standard 19 in M wheels.
I assume that larger rims will reveal even more difference between comfort and sport modes.
Body roll and brake diving are significantly reduced on sport however you get more road noise and vibration.
2012 Grand Cherokee (sold!)
2003 MB SLK stick (garage queen)
Appreciate 0